• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want to upgrade, but to what?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Top Hat Theater

I want to upgrade my memory from the single 512MB Corsair XMS3200C2 stick I'm currently using. It's running fine at 210MHz 2-2-5 CAS2 and 2.8vdimm but I want a faster FSB. I'm looking for faster RAM and I want something that runs faster at stock speed AS WELL AS has a good reputation of overclocking beyond spec. OCZ is out of the question as I trust 'em as far as I can throw 'em.

I would prefer a single stick of same size (DCDDR doesn't matter to me). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

~THT

Sorry don't have any brand and model specific. This is just an generic response. I'm looking for such too.

1. How high do you think your MB FSB can go, and be able to test the PC3500/3700 modules at their stock timing and freq.

The memory cost to match the last few % bandwidth is expensive, not until the 4.5/4.3 ns DRAM chips for PC3500/3700 become mature like the 5 ns chip now.

2. I am waiting to see what the TwinMOS PC3700/4.3 ns module is. Also the windbond 4.5 ns chips or even the 4.3 ns ones.

3. Buying memory to match stock timing is still a gamble on money and time, even for premium name brand. Risk/reward in buying high speed memory for overclocking is much less favorable than buying a CPU, especially like a TBred 2100+ B (AMD is very generous to overclockers lol !!!)

Not many retail stores carry PC3500/3700 modules that you can return/exchange in case the memory fails to meet specification. I dislike the 2-3 week RMA round-trip.

Last edited:
Back