• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can i combine corsair 3200 and 3200LL?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pirate252

I already have a 256 stick of 3200 (ver. 1.1) and i need to buy some more, i tyhink i got lucky on this one cuz i can run it at 2-2-2-5 at 380...so i wanted to get the LL type if i bought more to help the continued running at 2-2-2-5...but can i mix these different chips?

pirate252 said:
I already have a 256 stick of 3200 (ver. 1.1) and i need to buy some more, i tyhink i got lucky on this one cuz i can run it at 2-2-2-5 at 380...so i wanted to get the LL type if i bought more to help the continued running at 2-2-2-5...but can i mix these different chips?

Can you run your current Corsair 3200 ver1.1 at 200 MHz 6-2-2-2 RAS/CAS timing?

If I am not mistaken, Corsair 3200C2 uses 6 ns DRAM chips, spec'd at 200 MHz 6-3-3-2. Whereas the 3200LL uses 5 ns DRAM chips and spec'd at 200 MHz 6-2-2-2.

I wouldn't want to put two tires of slightly different model onto the same axle of an expensive car (if I have one).

Last edited:
well i am running 380 at 2-2-2-6...it will also run at 380 @ 2-2-2-5, but sandra says i get 5 more megs of bandwidth from 2-2-2-6, so i dont know why but i just run it at the 2-2-2-6...but yeah i know hard to believe aint it lol, thats why im lookin to match it with a stcik that can keep up

And this is only setting the voltage up to 1.7 in the bios, but i checked it with a mulitmeter and its 1.74, so yeah

You can run at 380, does it mean the MB FSB is not yet at 200 MHz. Sandra numbers are not constant, I see variations as high as 5% between runs.

If you are running A7N8X dlx, try to get the MB to run at least to 200-210 MHz BEFORE buying expensive memory. Otherwise maybe just wasting the money on the most expansive portion of the memory cost.

Memory is only as good as your FSB can go. If your system cannot handle 200 MHz, even you get PC5000, it won't help a single bit.

Further, without a MB that can run above 200-210 range, how can you test the memory you receive is not defeative and not 1 MHz below its specification and RAS/CAS timing, and the memory is worth every $ you spent.

I once got a Corsair 3500C2 that was way below spec, but since I was sure my system could handle 217 MHz, and I was able to prove the memory was defeative. I got the refund.

I have my FSB set at 190 so the number i am tlking about is the DDR speed...also lets say you cant get your fsb abouve 170, so you buy 2700, wouldnt you want to go with the more expensive memory anywayz for timings, i mean you can get as good of timings running 2700 at max or more, than you can running a 3200 stick below its Mhz speed, you would be able to push the timings more on the faster stick no matter what you FSB speed was....Besides no matter what i try i cant get past 192 FSB with this board, even with the multiplyer turned way down and the memory timings way loose...

pirate252 said:
I have my FSB set at 190 so the number i am tlking about is the DDR speed...also lets say you cant get your fsb abouve 170, so you buy 2700, wouldnt you want to go with the more expensive memory anywayz for timings, i mean you can get as good of timings running 2700 at max or more, than you can running a 3200 stick below its Mhz speed, you would be able to push the timings more on the faster stick no matter what you FSB speed was....Besides no matter what i try i cant get past 192 FSB with this board, even with the multiplyer turned way down and the memory timings way loose...

I see your point.

1. If whatever you have tried or want to try, you cannot get your MB above 192 MHz. And you are going to keep the MB for 6-12 months. Then you won't benefit from using the top bandwdith from the 3200LL which is wasting 30% of the cost of that memory (in the next 6 months) while the 3200 memory price are dropping fast.

2. The 192 MHz is at an odd spot between PC2700 and PC3200. Now there are lots of 3200 memory at almost 60% of a 3200LL will probably get you very tigh timing 5-2-2-2 at around 192 MHz.

I have TwinMOS 3200 with TwinMOS 5ns chip spec at CAS2.5, but I can run it up to at least 210 MHz at 6-3-3-2 for under $60. I guess it can definitely run at 192 MHz at very tight timing.

Even the old Sammy PC2700 (which should be real cheap now) can overclock real well, many said it can clock to 200 MHz. So it proabably can do 192 MHz at tight timing too.

My point is when buying memory, really has to do some price/performance calculation, and knowing what DRAM chips is maturing, hence its price is dropping.

Last edited:
Yeah you are right. when i bought the 3200 first off i bought it with the board, not knowing the board would not break 200, so that why i have 3200 in the first place, but it turned out to serve me well, but i do see your point, goin for the 3200...

by the way does "1800 Tbred A @ 211x9, HSF (retail box)" mean you are running those with the retail heatsink...wowzers...

pirate252 said:
by the way does "1800 Tbred A @ 211x9, HSF (retail box)" mean you are running those with the retail heatsink...wowzers...

Yes, it is just retail box heatsink. Also the A7N8X NB is running at 211 MHz with default heatsink and no fan, and no vmod. Just kind of "lucky".

Last edited:
Back