• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suckered on RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thecondor

I fell for the OCSystem PC3200 RAM they rated for Cas2/CL2
400Mhz. My system will now not even boot at the same speed
My OCZ 3000 was running just fine at. This is on an Asus P4B533E
motherboard. I have been running a 1.6A at 2.16/135Mhz FSB quite happily for several months. Using the undocumented dip
trick, my ram is running at 135X1.33x2=360Mhz. This is pretty good for thr OCZ as I pulled the sinks and found Samsung PC2700
chips rated at 6ns with designation K4H560838D-TCB3. I pulled the sinks on the OCSystem stick and found M.Tec TTD7608F8E60D
chips and cannot find much about them. SiSoft Sandra ID's them as PC2700 units. Frankly, I'm not to familiar with M.Tec chips! With a rating of 400Mhz, I expected to be able to reach 2.4 with my 1.6A. Oh well! The old theme of "stick with quality" rings true.
Oh yeah, I've decided that the real purpose of those pretty copper heatsinks is to hide the chips that are on the stick!

I thought I would also add that this module is now failing Memtest
after only 146 cycles. That was less than 10 minutes of testing.
Guess it's time for lighter fliud and magnesium.

So what exactly ARE the good reliable brands ?

I had always heard Crucial , Kingston, Samsung, Mushkin and Corsair. Is that it ?

I'd probably stick Corsair + Twinmos w/ Winbond chips at the top, Samsung behind them, and Crucial/Kingston in the 3rd slot.

Yep, OCSystem memory is pretty bad.

You say your OCZ was doing just fine, why did you switch?

I switched because I wanted to upgrade from 256 mb to 512 mb and thought that while in the process of doing that I would upgrade to a better specification. Anyway, have Corsair XMS on the way now. Thanks everyone for all the comments.

what you doing with the extra memory i dont care about ocing it i need it to run at say pc 2100 or 2700 pm me

Back