• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CAS3 vs CAS2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soccrstar

Registered
how much of a performance/speed increase would i notice goin' from CAS3 to CAS2 ram?

I can tell a difference but to each his own I guess. I would never run memory at CAS 3.

I think I noticed a very small difference when playing quake three when I temporarily went to CAS 3, BUT it was probably me expecting it to be slower. (Kinda like when I was a n00b, I dusted out my P1 and it felt so much faster:))

I noticed an increase of a few hundred points in 3dmark when I went from memory timings 6,3,3,2.5 to 5,2,2,2 ..... and less of a point increase but still an increase with just going from 2.5 to 2.0...

nYmph

It does make a noticeable difference with CAS 3 settings. 2.5 maybe not as much, but from 2 to 3 is pretty noticeable. OEM's run CAS 3, enthusiasts run CAS 2.

Back