• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead DDR??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Salmon Dream

Registered
I brought my computer home form boarding school last week. nobody in family cared enough to bring it in, they just let it sit in the grage. when i came home yesterday, i brought it in and let it warm up. powered on, nothing happened. however, i did get a beep code. long beep, long silence, long beep. that is the code for bad memory.

so, ithought it could just be the dimm. i moved te ram from dimm 0 to dimm 1. same beep. so, i took the ram out. same beep. i had a bad feeling, but put it into dimm 2 anyway. same thing. considering the meachine worked fine a week ago, and gives me the same beep code weither the ram is in or out, i think i fried a stick of samsung pc2100 256 mb.

If i had to guess, i'd say condensation got it. Try the ram in someone else's system to see if it's the ram or the board.

Also, use a hairdryer on the MOBO. Try to get the warm air to go underneath the MOBO as well as all around the rest of the case. It could be that there is still moisture somewhere degrading signals.

Back