• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fast mem timing and video graphics card performance..?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gemini1706

I just installed my new HyperX PC3000 Kingiston mem 512MB, and removed my old ram.
I adjused in the bios the settings to be 5 2 2 2 as advertised by Kingiston.
When running 3DMark2001SE, I noticed artifacts in the game demos (in almost all of them). Lines appearing and disappering quickly like laser beams or bullet traces. I never saw this before expect when I overclocked my video card long time ago, but when I clocked down to normal it disappered and never happened again.

My video card is Radeon 9100 64MB 250/275MHz normal clocking (I think the card is Sapphire).

My system is not yet overclocked:
Generic case with generic (iBest I think) 420W Power Supply.
AMD XP1600
Radeon 9100 64MB 250/275
80G Maxtor drive
Samsung 48x16x48 CDRW
SMI 745 Ultra mobo
512MByte Kingiston HyperX PC3000 RAM at 5 2 2 2.0
D-Link network card
Generic Modem (not used currently)

Any help please..?

I cannot believe that mem timing can affect video card performance. Could it be that my video card just went bad without me noticing? Those artifacts do not apper during Windows/applications use, or even during AoM game that I play, only appears during 3DMark2001 benchmarking (By the way, my benchmark was 8200 :) but with artifacts :( )

Thanks in advance...

Could be that you aren't getting enough cooling to the video card. Seemingly, your new timmings increases overall system performance meaning that everything in your system is moving just a little bit faster, thus generating more heat. Try moving more air through your case or improving your video card's cooling. This is the only thing I can think of that would cause for artifacts at stock speed.

Back