• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I may have made a big mistake!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

imaboutaquit

anyone having problems with crucial pc2700 512 meg sticks using nforce2 boards? I just purchased an XP2100+,epox 8rda+ and the 512 meg stick. Now I finally read user opinions a little too late-lots of complaints about the ram not running at 166 speeds in Nforce2 boards although some are having no probs at all. I dont necessarily need cas 2 settings(rated for 2.5) and may not go over 166 bus. Do I really have something to worry about?

can you even get your crucial ram to run at 2.5? I have a 2700 stick of 512 also that I will be putting into an NF7.

I think any memory module, unless it is defeative, should not have problem running at stock frequency on the 8rda+. Some may run into problem using auto bios setting at the beginning. But can be simply corrected by doing some manual setting.

I don't know how much you paid for the memory. But as of today, there are many good modules based on 5 ns DRAM chip (PC3200) can hit as least 200 MHz or as high as the motherboard allows (whichever comes first). The price of them ranges between $60 - 90 for a 256 MB stick, and they all perform with little difference in peformance up to 200+MHz with cas 2 timing.

Last edited:
Apparently Crucial has admitted that their PC2700 has compatability problems with the nforce2 boards. There's something about this in AMDMB forums and at Anandtech forums. I'd contact Crucial support. Supposedly they'll let you return it for a full refund, including shipping.

thanks, I found the anandtech forum post and sure sounds like there are issues. I havent received my order yet but I hope Newegg is as understanding as Crucial

Back