• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1GB=$131 or 512MB=$102

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dude_drew

I will get a 2.53GHz P4 and a Abit IT7. What would be better to get? If anything, I will only give it a 10% overclock, which would leave me around 2783MHz.

Kingston 1GB (2x 512MB)
Corsair XMS Speed 512MB (1x 512MB)

Both are PC2700 (333MHz). I think the Kingston would be better though because it's more memory, and it wouldn't need to be overclocked.
Correct me if I'm wrong though. I will probably go 1GB still though. Thanks.

Kingston comes with a variety of chips, but even the worst of them is as good as Crucial...

If you are only looking at a 10% overclock, any quality PC2700 stick should do. Kingston is indeed quality. My 512MB Kingston Value Ram 2700 does 432MHz at cas2 on a mere 2.64V. It may do more, but I am CPU limited at 162fsb (3:4 on the memory). Mine has Kingston branded chips that appear to be a Winbond 6ns variety. I have another Kingston 512MB coming from newegg on Tuesday, I'm expecting Samsung on it, but you never know with Value Ram. It's really good ram, but they use whatever chip is cheapest at the time of manufacture.

larva said:
Kingston comes with a variety of chips, but even the worst of them is as good as Crucial...

If you are only looking at a 10% overclock, any quality PC2700 stick should do. Kingston is indeed quality. My 512MB Kingston Value Ram 2700 does 432MHz at cas2 on a mere 2.64V. It may do more, but I am CPU limited at 162fsb (3:4 on the memory). Mine has Kingston branded chips that appear to be a Winbond 6ns variety. I have another Kingston 512MB coming from newegg on Tuesday, I'm expecting Samsung on it, but you never know with Value Ram. It's really good ram, but they use whatever chip is cheapest at the time of manufacture.

Did you get the ram yet? If so what kind of chips were on it. I'm interested in this ram if you get some good results with it.

but you can't just say 1 gig or 512 megs...if your computer doesn't come close to using all 512 megs of ram, then you wouldn't need any more ram...512 is a lot and unless you're doing some graphic editing/designing, or playing games that take up A LOT of ram, then getting more than 512 wouldn't do much for your performance.

Extol said:

Did you get the ram yet? If so what kind of chips were on it. I'm interested in this ram if you get some good results with it.

Nope, it's at the fed ex station, they didn't bother to deliver it today because it's "not due till tomorrow". Ferking fed ex.

nerdlogic said:
but you can't just say 1 gig or 512 megs...if your computer doesn't come close to using all 512 megs of ram, then you wouldn't need any more ram...512 is a lot and unless you're doing some graphic editing/designing, or playing games that take up A LOT of ram, then getting more than 512 wouldn't do much for your performance.

i agree... maybe a 256 stick and a 512 stick if you play games that take up lots of ram...

the Corsair XMS CAS 2.0 will run at the most aggressive memory timings your board has and OC to the MAX. The Kingston is CAS2.5 and may not run at the most aggressive timings and certainly will not if you OC very high.

I cant think of any reason whatsoever why a gamer would need more than 512 ram.

Well, I think 512MB is what you should have now. Games are starting to utilize more than 256MB and 768MB wouldn't be bad either since you can actually multi task while playing games :) Ever notice how laggy it is when you alt tab and use IE or something hehe.

I ordered it yesterday. I got the 1GB. It was cheaper over all and I wouldn't overclock it that much. It's more for future upgrades anyway. I also got the Abit IT7, 2.53GHz cpu, and a 52x burner.

The Kingston VR2700 from Newegg just showed, it has Hynix chips. Not corsair class for sure, but quality ram for $59.50 per 512MB.

I haven't had time to try it yet, I had to go change the dirt in a Dell Poweredge 2400 tonight. I'll post it up when I get a chance to evaluate the ram.

Back