• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video Card Memory Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cube

I wasn't sure if I should post this here, or the nVidia section since I'm really only talking about the Memory on the card.

I've got an MSI Ti4200 w/128mb. The card's memory didn't come with heatsinks or spreaders on them. Using Rivatuner's low level OC function, I've had the card overclocked to 553 for the memory (446 default) for a while and it is stable. I've touched the chips with my fingers to see how Hot they were, and well they weren't hot at all. Luke Warm would be a more accurate description.

My question is, will the memory chips be hot to the touch if they are overclocked very high, or does memory even heat up enough to feel it by touching it?

I want to clock higher to see how high I can get it without worrying about frying the memory. I'll eventually recycle my GF2 memory heatsinks as soon as I get some sort of Thermal epoxy. But in the meantime, is the "touch" test even feasible?

If they're only slightly warm at their current overclock then you probably won't need sinks on them unless/until you overvolt the card.

Back