• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Performance diff between ddr266, ddr333, ddr400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

currahee

Registered
What's the performance diff that can be noticed? Is it ok to run ddr 266 on the sis 655 mobo with a P4 2.4B? How slow will this setup turn out to be?

Just looking at the speed of the memory won't tell you have fast it is. If you take 1 stick each of ddr266, ddr333 and ddr400 memory, and run them all at ddr266 speeds, they will all benchmark at the same speed when using identical bios settings.

BUT, the ddr400 has the ability to run at higher speeds, so you might as well go with either the ddr333 or 400 based memory. Any of the above memory types you mentioned will work on a 133Mhz based P4 system, but if you plan to OC it, the higher spec memory is the way to go.

i see. thanx.

So the ddr 266 will still work well if there's no intention of overclocking on the P4 2.4B 533 Mhz?

yeah. actually, intel's fsb is quad-pumped, so the 533MHz on your P4 board is the same thing as your ddr266(ddr is double data rate so the ram is actually rated to run at 133MHz, *4 makes 533).

however, your P4 will only run at 533 if your board's fsb can run at 533.

currahee said:
What's the performance diff that can be noticed? Is it ok to run ddr 266 on the sis 655 mobo with a P4 2.4B? How slow will this setup turn out to be?

2100 = 2100mb/s, 2700 = 2700mb/s, 3200 = 3200mb/s

hehe ;). yeah, pretty straight forward, although actual speed differs, for instance, I get around 2550/2330 with my fsb at 189.

the sis655 mobo will allow the P4 to run at 533mhz rite?
so there shldn't be any performance lag by using the ddr266 rite? the only prob is that i might not be able to oc that much

you can check that in your bios. there will not be any performance lag with ddr266, and you should be able to oc it a good deal, but higher performance ram will still work in your system and you might be able to get some good juice out of that like slipknot says.

here's my question. If i get a mobo that supports ddr333, and i get xms3500 (ddr433), then it'll just work at ddr333 speeed, correct? I don't plan on overclocking, YET, till i learn more about ddr overclocking. Somoene said if you get faster ram then the board supports, then you have to underclock it. How exactly, wont it auto underclock itself to the ddr33 spec?

yes, it'll work at ddr333 speed. I'm not sure if the board will automatically underclock the ram...you might have to set it in bios for stability.

yep, the board will automatically underclock the memory when the memory is rated for a higher fsb and it won't cause any problems...........have run underclocked ram on a couple of occasions w/no problems.......however, am waiting to see if prices come down juz a lil' bit more so i can order some pc3200 so i can overclock.........

Back