• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for a stable m/b

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harderclock

i will be putting together a computer(1000$can) for children to use at a youth center.its not for gaming only surfing and office im looking for a very stable board for a celeron 1700.i would like audio and video on board to save a little cash for a burner.any info would be appreciated.

If no overclocking is expected, I frequently see Intel brand mobos for sale very cheap on eBay, they are very good stable mobos. Albatron might be worth looking into if you get the model with the i845PE chipset. Of course you can't go wrong with any of the Abit or Asus mobos.

thanks for the info i guess ill go with the 845 chipset and not to expensive so i can save money for other things they will need

There is a store around where i live which sells a gigabyte PE667 for 129$ canadian... it got onboard sound, but no video but very stable.. im actually runnin a 1.7 celly and another one with a 1.8 celly in it. very good so far. for video you can get a ATI 9000... you know what.. since im not busy, let me price one out for ya and tell me what ya think..

Gigabyte PE667 = $129
Sapphire ATI Radeon 9000 64MB DDR = $99
Viewsonic E70f PerfectFlat = $240
Case and power supply = $60
Celleron 1.7 = $93
256MB PC-2700 DDR333 = $54
LG 48X CD-RW/16X DVD-ROM Combo = $109
Western Digital 40GB w/ 8MB cache = $117
Logitech Wheel Mouse Optical = $20
Lite-On Keyboard (black) USB = $15
Generic Network card = $10
Grand total = $946 + tax

If you really want an onboard video, check out the MSI 845GE Max L for $155 ( it also has a network adapter on it so you can take off the ten bucks for a network card :D )

All prices in Canadian funds

raven

Last edited:
If they are only surfing the net. Save $50 and get a geforce 2 mx. Also they will not need 40 GB of hard drive. It would be good in for future purposes though. One more thing, will the kids really be watching DVD's or burning cd's? If not, thats even more you can save.

thanks alot raven.the prices here in montreal are slightly higher but i think ill do your system.im not trying to make any cash just doing my part for some kids.im sure the system here wont exceed 1000$. thanks again

Back