• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BH7 is available

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm a little behind the times I guess. Someone bring me up to speed on the BH7, please? What chipset and what features?

I have had one running for a few days now, and am very pleased with it.

Only two problems that you should know about are that the temps are not read correctly (about 10-15C higher than my previous mobo with same cpu), and it does not like some RAM chips, it would not boot with samsung on third party PCB. I called the retailer up and they said others were having the same problems.

I don't know whether it is due to the four phase power supply but I get another 300 MHz out of a p4 2.8 with this board so well worth the (low) price for me!.

Does the BH7 softmenu3 voltage adjustment increase or decrease voltage in .025V increments or is it +5/10/15%? Also, how do you connect 4 IDE devices if none of them are serial ATA?

Inquiring minds need to know.

lyle said:
Does the BH7 softmenu3 voltage adjustment increase or decrease voltage in .025V increments or is it +5/10/15%? Also, how do you connect 4 IDE devices if none of them are serial ATA?

Inquiring minds need to know.

Just got one today, I have yet to install it. It has two standard ide connectors and one serial ata connector. The voltage goes up to +30% according to the retailer I got it from (Azzo) although I will be able to verify after I get it installed and running.

It has two standard ide connectors

I know it has two standard IDE connectors, but on the Abit website it confirms support for THREE (3) devices. I tried to download the manual but the link on the site points to the Japanese language version of the SI7, lotta help there.

lyle said:

I know it has two standard IDE connectors, but on the Abit website it confirms support for THREE (3) devices. I tried to download the manual but the link on the site points to the Japanese language version of the SI7, lotta help there.

Maybe I'm a bit thick here, if so please be patient with me. It has one Serial Ata connector, and two standard ide connectors. That's three, right? Six, if you count master/slave configs. Is there something here I'm missing?

I think you can connect only one HD to the SATA connector, there is no master/slave setup with serial ATA. This must mean that one of the IDE connectors supports one device only, and the other works like a standard IDE connector (master/slave).

What does the manual tell you? Does it go into any description of the drive config/setup?

lyle said:
I think you can connect only one HD to the SATA connector, there is no master/slave setup with serial ATA. This must mean that one of the IDE connectors supports one device only, and the other works like a standard IDE connector (master/slave).

What does the manual tell you? Does it go into any description of the drive config/setup?

Oh sure, make me go to the manual.. (j/k)

According to pages 2-12 and 2-13, (paraphrasing)

If using ide1 and ide2, it supports four devices in master/slave mode, two per channel.

But.

Quote:
" NOTE: To enable the SATA function, the "SATA Controller" option in the BIOS menu must be set to [Enabled]. By enablling this function, the total devices of what IDE2 channel could connect to will then be reduced to one device instead of two."

So there you have it. No matter what config, a total of four devices can be connected at one time, either four ide, or one sata and three ide.

So yes, if I understand your post, you are correct. My apologies for my thickness (but you were warned, remember?), I should have consulted the manual in the first place.

lyle said:
Thanks for the info... I'm glad that's all cleared up, now, do I want to replace a P4PE with a BH7, or do I wait for i865PE?

Thats what I just did. I was having problems with the P4PE as far a locking the pci bus, even with the work arounds posted on this board it did not always work right. The BH7 has taken care of those issues, but this beast runs HOT as hell. Not just the cpu temp its reporting but the mofsets on this board generate sooo much heat, I can feel the heat radiate just by holding my hand over the area between the cpu and parallel port!

I just tested 5 retail box SL6EF C1 P4's on this board...either these cpus really dont like voltage or its something about this board. These cpus all turn in their best results at 1.5-1.55v. If I get one stable at 1.5 and just bump it up to 1.6 most seem to have problems. I dont have time to test the cpus in my P4PE to see what kinda results I get as these cpus are all for customers machines.

If I had to do it again, I'd keep the P4PE especially if you are not have problems with the pci lock.

Cheers,
Kuz

lyle said:
Thanks for the info... I'm glad that's all cleared up, now, do I want to replace a P4PE with a BH7, or do I wait for i865PE?

I got the board installed today and am still learning my way around the tweaks. So far I'm pretty happy with it. I've been able to get a 7mhz fsb increase over the BD7 I was using previously, but at 166mhz fsb, my little 1.6a is about topped out.

If you're already running a 845pe, I'd recommend keeping what you have and wait for a Canterwood or Springdale. I do feel that for someone on a i845 as I was, that it's worth consideration. It's cheap, and overclocks very well, it's a bit better than I expected from what I intended to be a "stop-gap" solution.

Back