• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gah! Newegg refurb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krusty

Insane Overclocking Clown
A couple months ago, I purchased an Epox 8KHA+ refurbished off of newegg for $39. It came in a new looking box with all the bits and pieces, and it looked and smelled pretty and new.

I recieved it in early December and it ran pretty and new --for about 2 months. After that, it began bluescreening randomly every couple hours, crashing windows explorer every other time it is used, and the onboard audio is now dead. Now that the computer is being used more often, it is becoming quite a problem and I can no longer deal with it, yet I can not afford to get a new motherboard.

Now I know newegg only offers a 30 day warranty on refurbished products, but do you think they would be willing to work with me here since it is in their interest to let everyone (including me) know that their refurbished products are of good quality and we do not need to worry about them going dead on us?

Also, no overclocking has occurred AT ALL on this motherboard and the disk has been formatted multiple times and drivers reinstalled multiple times, so it is a definate fault with the motherboard.

EDIT: Also, do you guys think I deserve a replacement motherboard? Do you think newegg should replace my motherboard? It started dying after about a month and a half or 2 months and I have been dealing with the problems for 2 months since then.

My refurb P4PE came with no parts at all, just the mobo in a bag.

All works fine, except after the 30 day warantee the voice post feature cut out. I guess I can live with it. (Thank goodness I already purchased a retail version of the same board for another PC, so I had the software and the book available)

It sure was a surprise to find nothing in the box except the mobo though. Missing were:
All cables
Book
Software
Diagram for case door (inside)
Output plate for back of the case
several adapter cards

I wonder where all this stuff went.....

I figure that I bought cheap, I have to live with the limited warantee that newegg offers for their refurbs. After that I'm on my own. Their warnings are clear, and I did read them.

In all honesty, I can't see that they have either a moral or legal obligation to do anything. Once you go down the refurb road, that's the chance you take. That being said, there is no reason you can't contact them and see if they will do anything for you, but just don't get bit if they don't. You also might have had a little better luck with them if you did this immediately after the trouble started.

BTW, have you eliminated the PSU and RAM as part of your problem?

stool said:
BTW, have you eliminated the PSU and RAM as part of your problem?

It's not the PSU. The PSU had been used in a previous system before and never had issues. I don't know about the memory. I traded for it in the Classifieds here and this is the only system it has been in.

Even if one of those other components was the problem, there is still the issue taht the onboard sound does not work. The main reason this system was put together was to play MP3s on the stereo in the living room. Can't do that now.

Do you think Epox would give an RMA on a refurb from newegg? I also have an 8kha that went down the pooper a few months after I bought it.

Blue Jester_2112 said:
Do you think Epox would give an RMA on a refurb from newegg? I also have an 8kha that went down the pooper a few months after I bought it.

There's only one way to find out:D

I'm gonna start out with sending a snail mail letter to Newegg. I figured they'd be a little more responsive to something tangible such as a piece of paper.

As far as RMAing, I know that Abit will RMA a refurb from Newegg, since I had to do it. The problem was caused by me, I told Abit, and they STILL RMAed it.

steve

Yeah, contact newegg. I got a board from them that died a day after the warranty expired. They took my RMA just fine.
Don't be surpriesd if they don't take it, but they're a really good company.

Samsung replaced my cdrw drive even though I didn't buy directly from them, heck, they even mailed me a box to mail it back to them in with postage paid! I say talk to Epox and see.

Krusty said:
A couple months ago, I purchased an Epox 8KHA+ refurbished off of newegg for $39. It came in a new looking box with all the bits and pieces, and it looked and smelled pretty and new.

I recieved it in early December and it ran pretty and new --for about 2 months. After that, it began bluescreening randomly every couple hours, crashing windows explorer every other time it is used, and the onboard audio is now dead. Now that the computer is being used more often, it is becoming quite a problem and I can no longer deal with it, yet I can not afford to get a new motherboard.

Now I know newegg only offers a 30 day warranty on refurbished products, but do you think they would be willing to work with me here since it is in their interest to let everyone (including me) know that their refurbished products are of good quality and we do not need to worry about them going dead on us?

Also, no overclocking has occurred AT ALL on this motherboard and the disk has been formatted multiple times and drivers reinstalled multiple times, so it is a definate fault with the motherboard.

EDIT: Also, do you guys think I deserve a replacement motherboard? Do you think newegg should replace my motherboard? It started dying after about a month and a half or 2 months and I have been dealing with the problems for 2 months since then.

Buy a new one, put the old one back in, return it. You'll be charged restocking fee but lot cheaper than buying another board :)

Good luck getting an RMA from Epox. I tried and tried to return an old 8K3A, and I finally gave up and threw it in the dumpster. I won't purchase an Epox product again.

i just do this and it almost always works ....sebnd your product back to the manufacture and tell them you like their products have always bought them and would continue to purchase them and your havinga probelem with this one ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i ahave never had a company ever get worked up over taking my old problems and quickly sending me a brand new one ....forget reciepts and such just get the product in their hands and tell em u got a problem,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they couldn;t care a less how when or why ,,,,ship him another is my experiance................

Back