• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Initial 8SQ800 thoughts...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Terry

Posted this a bit ago in General Intel boards, did not see we had a Gigabyte section now :)

Componet background, original parts from my IT7MAX
2X512mb Corsair XMS C2 rev1.1 memory
P2 2.8 ran @ 3580/170fsb solid 1.5v
Swiftech MCX4000 w/Sunon 50.6cfm fan
PNY Ti4600
2X40gb WD JBs on HighPoint SATA RocketRaid in RAID0

Got the board in fine, no problems. Had factory F5 BIOS
DID NOT FORMAT... figured I would try it and see what happens.
Installed BIGTOE's modded F5 BIOS

Started cranking it up, current settings and testing now:
BIOS Post says DDR 420
Set memory to 2.5-7-3-3, +.2v
Set CPU to [email protected]
Locked AGP/PCI to 66/33
Top Performance OFF
Installed Gigabyte AGP driver
WCPUid says: [email protected]
Sandra Memeory bench: 4132/4123

Bluescreened at 170mhz FSB/Will stay here and test for a bit

Damn... I am impressed. It took right off! Can really feel the memory speed.

Anything I should try different?

I just got my GA-8SQ800 last night...popped her in and went straight for 170 FSB with my 2.4 C1 stepping. The power is almost scary. :D

Had it up to 180, but had real problems - so have "settled" at 172 with 2 sticks of 256 MB Corsair PC3500 running cas 2, 7, 3, 3.

The only drawback on this board is lack of CMOS jumper....if that's the extent of drawbacks, then I think we have a winner!!!

Terry said:
Where did you get the modified F5 bios? I would like to give it a try.

Thanks
Posted this a bit ago in General Intel boards, did not see we had a Gigabyte section now :)

Componet background, original parts from my IT7MAX
2X512mb Corsair XMS C2 rev1.1 memory
P2 2.8 ran @ 3580/170fsb solid 1.5v
Swiftech MCX4000 w/Sunon 50.6cfm fan
PNY Ti4600
2X40gb WD JBs on HighPoint SATA RocketRaid in RAID0

Got the board in fine, no problems. Had factory F5 BIOS
DID NOT FORMAT... figured I would try it and see what happens.
Installed BIGTOE's modded F5 BIOS

Started cranking it up, current settings and testing now:
BIOS Post says DDR 420
Set memory to 2.5-7-3-3, +.2v
Set CPU to [email protected]
Locked AGP/PCI to 66/33
Top Performance OFF
Installed Gigabyte AGP driver
WCPUid says: [email protected]
Sandra Memeory bench: 4132/4123

Bluescreened at 170mhz FSB/Will stay here and test for a bit

Damn... I am impressed. It took right off! Can really feel the memory speed.

Anything I should try different?

Hi,

I bought this board last Monday.....

I had several problems with my Samsung memory too!

I can stable reach 374Mhz! Not More....:mad:

My Timings are very, very conservative!

The only thing, is that this board have no CMOS-RESET, the only chance is to recover the battery!

I want to buy next week, a new PC3200 Samsung to stabilize my System in the DDR400 region's........

Now I have a 1x3200 Samung / 1x 2700 Samsung!

But with this memory's I reach in my old ASUS P4PE 430Mhz!!! :eek:

Very Strange......

PS: I use the Modded F4 Bios, in my opinion the F5 Bios is only for the GA-SINXP1394

Spitfire said:
I can stable reach 374Mhz! Not More....

Now I have a 1x3200 Samung / 1x 2700 Samsung!

But with this memory's I reach in my old ASUS P4PE 430Mhz!!! :eek:

Very Strange......

So, are you running in Single Channel mode Or Dual Channel?

Might not be so strange if you are in Dual Channel.

Running Dual Channel Mode is most ideal with modules of the same specs.

Can you please try something...Place the modules in the DIMM slots side by side (orange-purple) to run in Single Channel mode and see if you can run it up any higher that way.

Please post your results.
Thanks.

Hi,

I was in a DUAL Mode!

I couldn't testing, because I use Themaltake Memory Cooler...
(No chance to use different banks!)

Now I upgraded....

I have now 2x PC3200 (CC4) Samsung's running with 412Mhz (2,5/7/4/4)!

No more agressive Timings stable...:mad:

Originally posted by Prometheus at Asusboards.com

To get the most on overclocking from the Gigabyte versions of the SiS655, you will need to use a shareware program called SetFSB or the included EZTune4. Gigabyte seems to have somewhat limited maximum OC settings to results likely to produce 100% success with these boards. You can gain an addional 5 to 15FSB by further tweaking with SetFSB/EZTune4 once in Windows. The SetFSB program is certainly a gem. Thanks to Tanghiro for finding this program and showing us how useful it is on the SiS655 boards.

I got the impression from reading Prometheus's review on the Asusboards site that there is a limit on FSB setting in BIOS imposed by Gigabyte to ensure "100% success" overclocks. Is this true, and if so, what is the max FSB you can set in BIOS? I know that EZtune4 was used to up FSB in Windows, but thats a pain. Can anyone enlighten me on this as I am extremely interested in the GA-8SQ800. Thank you.

I am having great success with this board so far. My 2.4b is running at 2.7 with stock voltage F5 bios (it came with the board).
I usually overclock a little at a time. I am satisfied with where I am at but will see how far this puppy will go. I am using Geil PC3200 512mgs. I just purchased two sticks of Samsung PC3200
512mgs but that is going to go into my SINXP1394 when Newegg gets them in stock.
:D

I'm seriously considering this MoBo and some pc3700 over my current Rig (see Sig)
I feel that my rambus is limiting my O/C. Any thoughts on this?

gruvin2 said:
I'm seriously considering this MoBo and some pc3700 over my current Rig (see Sig)
I feel that my rambus is limiting my O/C. Any thoughts on this?

Well, your rambus probably is limiting you somewhat, but is the added expense worth it to you for the performance gain? If it is, then go ahead. I'm sure you would be quite happy. Myself, I'm interested in this Mobo but I wanna see how Springdale is and whether the current crop will support 200 MHz FSB.

As for the rest of you, COMON. Read my post above. All I was asking was if there was a limit on FSB settings or is there another interpretation of the quote? Comon, all you gotta do is tell me how high FSB goes on your board. Simple. Can't seem to find this anywhere as a definitive answer.

As for the rest of you, COMON. Read my post above. All I was asking was if there was a limit on FSB settings or is there another interpretation of the quote? Comon, all you gotta do is tell me how high FSB goes on your board. Simple. Can't seem to find this anywhere as a definitive answer.

The CPU FSB is adjustable in 1mhz increments from 100mhz to 350mhz

The memory has a ton of different frequency settings.... and will go way higher than ANY memory you can buy

BIOS has an AGP/PCI lock

Sounds like a nice borad you got there. Ive been looking into these boards, SIS has coem through for us with these dont you guys think?

Papa_Legba
I got the impression from reading Prometheus's review on the Asusboards site that there is a limit on FSB setting in BIOS imposed by Gigabyte to ensure "100% success" overclocks. Is this true, and if so, what is the max FSB you can set in BIOS? I know that EZtune4 was used to up FSB in Windows, but thats a pain. Can anyone enlighten me on this as I am extremely interested in the GA-8SQ800. Thank you.

man, this sucks. I hope this isnt true. has anyone gotten 180 or more on this board?

raven

Back