• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a 170MHz 'brick wall'

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

penguinpoo

Just building a PC for a friend, [Been waiting for parts for ages, looong delivery times]... I basicly tried to copy mine, after i got a brilliant success, Well heres the Dilema:

Runs perfectly smooth at 169FSB on this SINXP, all standerd voltages, nothing wrong, memory is at 422MHz 3-6-3-3, BUT if I try to goto 170FSB, it wont even post! HOw much ever i change the voltages, ive taken the CPU upto 1.6v, varied everything else, just seems like a 170 FSB brick Wall! ANY ideas what-so-ever?

not many 2.4b's run to 3.4, believe me. probably just hit the cpu's limit. try taking the vcore up some more, see if it stabilizes.

Exactly the same thing here! I run a 2.4b SL6ZR Costa on an Asus P4B533. I run 3112 (173 fsb)@1.52-1.53 vcore in Prime. Strange thing is that no matter how much peppa I give the sucker (even tried 1.7), it wont give me as much as an extra MHz in return.

I was actually worried it was my mobo which totally sucked, but it seems to me now that many of the 2,4b´s just runs very well to some point and then completely refuses to give any more. Seen how many low-volts OC´ed 2.4b CPU results there are in forum-people´s tags? It´s a clear pattern I think. Nicely designed chips just doesn´t need that extra voltage to perform.

Back