• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

weird problem with p4pe beta bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kingdom

hi.

Well ive been using the 1003 beta bioses for a while now, using beta 10 atm. but a weird thing has been going on with them all, sometimes when i power on the computer the screen stays off, i turn it off and on again and it loads the bios telling ne that fsb is to high, rebooting again fixes it, sometimes it gets black again but some power on and offs will get the system up.

I didnt see this with the 1002 bios, allthough im not that much concerned about it, i'd like to hear if anyone else have had this problem, are there any chance that this has nothing to do with the bios but is some hardware who is about to die ?

This is not only a problem with beta bios, at least for me. I am using 1002 bios on a P4PE right now. I have a P4 2.4B overclocked to 3.33GHz and it runs stable and rock solid (prime 95 for 23 hours before I stopped it). What is weird is that if the PC has been off for a long time, when I boot it up it will fail and give me the voice message that it failed due to overclocking or failed due to video card issue. If I reboot it sometimes it will boot up ok, but usually it will come up at the generic 1800 speed so it can go into bios. What is strange is if I just go ahead and hit f5 to load all defaults (it still keeps my CPU settings at 185FSB) then it will boot every time. Never fails to happen like that. If it fails to post, just go in and set all defaults with F5 and boots right up (even though I currently have all things set as default anyhow except for FSB so it really doesn't change anything from my settings at all.). Think I just might have a flaky board.

Aktunka

Actually, after I posted this I went to another forum (think it is asusboards.com or something like that, i dont remember) and it appears that a cold boot problem is not super uncommon with the P4PE. I actually found a workaround for my issue for now, and that is that I have to have everything except for my FSB set to defaults and leave them that way (this includes the full screen logo at boot up....yes, if I disable that in bios, next time I do a cold boot when pc has been off overnight, it will fail on bootup at 185FSB). I leave my FSB at 185 with my 2.4b running at 3.33GHz, and it boots and runs stable as long as all other things are set to default. If I even change anything else in bios besides the FSB, it will not even post at 160FSB unless i go into bios and do an f5 to reset defaults. It is kinda wacky. So, I am just leaving it at 185FSB and all other settings default now so I can boot normally. I have made an RMA request on the board however, partially due to this, partially due to the temp issue, and partially due to the fact that it is strange that this board with 6 channel audio only has a single audio out connector.

Aktunka

Back