• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4PE -> Network: 1394 AND NIC ?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JohnnyTheRed

I assign static IPs to all of my comps on my network. When I was setting up XP pro today, I was prompted to input my IP settings, and so I did.

Network is fine, but when went to check on various settings I stumbled upon two adapters in my network setup. A 1394 and the onboard Gigabit LAN adapters.

What's with this firewire adapter? It got assigned my static IPs, and my Gigabit is assigned random ones from my DHCP server. It seems that the 1394 is the active one....how? My cable goes to the onboard.

Checking the status on it in the Network Connections settings says it can run at 400mbps...whereas the onboard maxes at 100mbps....

Should I keep the 1394 active? I'm still not even sure why or how it is active in the first place....wouldn't that be reserved for a firewire connection?!

- Thanks.

Back