• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IT7-MAX2-Rev2 - "SERILLEL" ATA Converter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

Just received my new IT7-Max2-Rev2. With it came a small black box that is a converter so a standard IDE drive can be used with the Serial ATA ports. Abit calls it a "SERILLEL converter".

Is there any advantage to connecting a standard IDE drive to the Serial ATA ports via this converter? I assume the standard drive will be limited by whatever IDE spec it was built to so I cannot see a reason for this converter. The board has standard IDE Ultra DMA 33/66/100(/133) RAID ports so the the Serial ATA ports need not be used at all. However, Abit did go to the expense to supply this little black box so I have to assume there is a good reason for it. I just would like to know more about it before I use it.

There are some other threads about this but it does not appear this question has been clearly discussed.

I am not really sure if there is any benefit to using it.I never installed it but I might try it out.

There is no difference when using it on a ATA 100 hard drive, and I couldn't even get mine to work right.. I suggest not to use it.

The only advantage of the adapter is to be able to use a Serial cable for your hard disk. If you are concerned about airflow in your case and don't want the thick IDE cables getting in the way, then this adapter is your friend. :)

I'm using the adapter for my hard disk and rounded IDE cables for my CD drives and things look pretty tidy inside the case that way.

Back