• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IT7-MAX2 Will not booty Windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

Today I received my new IT7-Max2-Rev2, a 2.4 Ghz P4, and 512 Meg Kingston HyperX PC2700. I installed it in place of my old TH7II. It will not successfully boot into Windows. It consistently reboots everytime it tries to load Windows XP. Everything initially appears normal and the black flash screen appears for a few seconds. Then a BSOD flashes so quickly it is impossible to read anything off of it. The board then just reboots and the cycle starts all over. Behavior is similar when trying to boot into safe mode. I have pulled every card except the graphics card (Ti200).

Any suggestionsould be appreciated. I had high hopes for this combination but now it wont even properly light off.

Is this occuring while trying to reinstall XP, or are you using an existing XP setup from your old MB?

Your message is not clear on the above and if you are using an existing installation with new hardware I find it best to reformat and reinstall the OS.

Al

Last edited:
I am using the hard drive from my existing installation. I have made many motherboard/CPU upgrades in the past and was always able to use the existing hard drive. Especially with XP, I would expect the OS to easily handle this.

If the IT7 requires reformatting and reloading everything then it is a worthless piece of crap in my opinion as I never had to do that before and I am not about to take on that heroic effort considering all the applications and online upgrades. My data is very well backed up but the time needed to restore the applications is just not worth this upgrade. I am sounding irritated and out of patience with this thing, I am!

There is the BSOD which probably has some useful information but it flashes much to fast to get anything useful off of it. I have also swapped CPUs wioth a proven good 2.0 GHz P4 with the same results. I have no other DDR memory so I cannot test that.

The Bsod is probably a driver used by your old motherboard and your new one does not like it. I know how you feel, I upgraded some parts today and after all the swapping around between machines I ended up doing a reinstall on two of them. One would boot, but would run erratically and the other just refused to load the OS.

I hate computers (thats why I have 4:D)

Good luck.

Al

I would think if was a driver problem then it would start in Safe Mode. Same problem occurs in safe mode.

RhoXS said:
I would think if was a driver problem then it would start in Safe Mode. Same problem occurs in safe mode.

The second machine I did the reinstall on would not give me the option to go into safe mode. The first one did but any attempts to repair did not do any good.

Can never figure these things out, they are always one step ahead of me:(

Al

The actual error message on the BSOD is:

stop:0X0000007B (0XF894C640, 0XC00000034)

Any clue what this means? It has some text about checking the hard drive. I have a spare drive with Windows loaded on it from a previous machine. I tried this drive with exactly the same results.

RhoXS said:
If the IT7 requires reformatting and reloading everything then it is a worthless piece of crap in my opinion as I never had to do that before and I am not about to take on that heroic effort considering all the applications and online upgrades.

In the past you have been lucky, its always best to reformat and start fresh to stop driver conflicts occuring. Do yourself a favor, reinstall the OS, Install your applications, drivers and updates etc then do a drive image backup.

yep, especially going from a 850 chopset to a 846pe, lots pf dofferemces there. you should always reinstall the os when upgrading the mobo.

I finally did figure out the problem and how to avoid it when upgrading a motherboard.

The Problem defined:
When I moved the HDD from the TH7II to the IT7, Windows XP still had the drivers for the TH7II IDE controller. These, of course, are not compatible with the IT7. Therefore, Windows crashed the first time it tried to access data on the hard drive.

The Fix:
The fix was to use the Windows XP installation disk to "repair" the problem. This was not a repair using the recovery console but the repair of an existing installation that esentially resulted in a complete reinstall. When it was complete all my personnal setting, including the desktop icons, were all intact.

Prevention:
The following is a quote from lyle in another thread with a good suggestion to prevent this problem.

"Just a little tip I learned, before you move your system disk to a new mb, go to device manager and change your HD controller from whatever it is (Intel 80xxx ultra ata hd controller or something like that) to "Standard Dual Channel IDE Controller". You can do this in XP by selecting "update driver", then "install from a list", then "I will choose". Standard IDE controller should be one of the options. I've done this a number of times and so far have not had any problem booting a HD with XP on a new mb."

Last edited:
it always the best to reinstall windows if hardware has been changed especially mobo/cpu
just my 2cents

Back