• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

building new system? what to buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gman76

Registered
I have looked around and read a lot of posts. I think I am going to go with a P4 2.4, Abit BH7 mobo, and Corsair PC2700 xms DDR 512 twin pack. Is there anything else I should look at (other than the obvious CD drive, HD, Video, and sound) to get? I have a 350 watt PS and no heatsink at the moment. Is the stock sink good, or should I go to a better one? I am asking since I have never overclocked a PC before and do not know if these two things make a difference. I also have AS3 grease. any info would be helpful. Thanks!!!

Wow so wiered lol, I bought very similar parts to yours last week

ABIT BH7
Pentium4 2.4B Retail
512 PC2700 Corsair Value ram
Geforce4 TI4200
Antec True380 retail PSU

You are getting way better ram then me, the COrsair XMS series which will overclock like a champ. And 1 gig of it lol.

I have bin told the motherboard is very good, so why not I went for it. ANd the cpu will rock dont worry about it, the retail heatsink is great and just make sure to use the artic silver instead of the pink gum.

I would consider a ATI radeon 9500pro if your a average gamer, I chose the Geforc4 because I hardly play games so the Geforce4 fits my budget nicely.

May I ask, what brand is your powersupply?

Hey G, welcome to the forums.

Nice shopping list. I've only got a couple of comments.

About your memory. Great choice, but if you want the best overclock you might want to get one stick of 512. Aside from the Granite Bay and SiS655 dual-channel DDR boards, overclocking with two sticks of memory is nearly impossible.

The stock Intel heatstink is very good, and you can get a little overclock out of it without overheating the chip. But to make your 2.4 sing you'll want to pick up something like an Swiftech MCX-4000B, Alpha PAL, or Thermalright SLK-900. If you pair this with a 40CFM Panaflo fan, you'll get a very good combination of cooling efficiency and low noise.

BHD

Thanks for the help! This helps me in my conquest to OC my first PC!!!

I'd get higher rated RAM, like PC3200, so you can use more agressive memory settings for better performance. The PC2700 will work perfect until you start overclocking, then you'll have to use the 1:1 ratio and less agressive RAM timing settings.

Back