• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New drivers for the ABIT IT7 series

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NiChO(SWE)

Registered
Please explain some things that are confusing me about the updated drivers above. I apologize if my questions sound naive but I do not understand this well enough to ask clearer questions.

With respect to the Highpoint controller, I thought it resided in firmware on the motherboard. The term driver implies it is software that loads with Windows. Is a flash utility (e.g. awdflash) needed to update the existing HPT 374 BIOS Version 1.22 that is currently installed. I am assuming the Highpoint controller firmware can be flashed without also flashing the IT7 bios.

Abit lists HPT 374 BIOS Version 1.22 as the latest on their bios update page. This is in fact the version that was shipped with my IT7-Max2-Rev2. I do not use a RAID array but I do use IDE3 for a 250 MB ATAPI Zip Drive. This worked fine on my old TH7II but the IT7 will not detect the presence of this drive. It does immediately detect a HDD on IDE3 but not the Zip drive. The only reason I would consider upgrading to ver 3.02 is hopefully to fix this problem. However, because Abit does not even mention the existence of ver 3.02 I am reluctant to install it. I guess I am just looking for some informed thoughts on this problem.

Last question. Doesn't Windows XP have built in drivers for the USB ports? Are the drivers referenced above different from those supplied with the latest service packs?

I currently have the HPT 374 v. 1.22.
I downloaded the latest HPT 374 V, 1.23. I have XP partitioned on Drive C, and I downloaded the HPT to Drive D. I unzipped the file. It said 17 files were successfully unzipped. I restared my computer and it still says v. 1.22. What am I doing wrong? How can I apply the download to the computer so it replaces the 1.22?

Also, I have to download some other ABIT Drivers for the Abit IT7 Max 2 v. 2. Is there anything else I should know so I can get them to apply and work? Thank you. Any help much appreciated.

RhoXS said:
Please explain some things that are confusing me about the updated drivers above. I apologize if my questions sound naive but I do not understand this well enough to ask clearer questions.

With respect to the Highpoint controller, I thought it resided in firmware on the motherboard. The term driver implies it is software that loads with Windows. Is a flash utility (e.g. awdflash) needed to update the existing HPT 374 BIOS Version 1.22 that is currently installed. I am assuming the Highpoint controller firmware can be flashed without also flashing the IT7 bios.

The HighPoint controller BIOS is a part of the main BIOS code, and therefore cannot be flashed independently. You have to modify the original BIOS file, and replace the 1.22 HPT BIOS with the 3.02 version, or you can download the modded version from different locations (Phantom Puniser's site for example). But this BIOS version is unsupported, and you have to use it at your own risk.

RhoXS said:

Last question. Doesn't Windows XP have built in drivers for the USB ports? Are the drivers referenced above different from those supplied with the latest service packs?

Windows XP only supports USB1.0/1.1, but Microsoft added USB2.0 support with SP1. You don't need any third party USB2.0 driver if you use WinXP SP1.

regards

R.

Last edited:
I have never flashed a BIOS before, so I think I am just going to leave it alone for now. I don't know how to do it, and I have too many other issues to figure out right now. Thanks for letting me know that is what I have to do though, thank you.

EmTSea19, flashing a bios is very easy. I have done it many times to keep my boards up to date and have never had a problem. There is a small risk that a problem might occur but it is really minimal. If it aint broke dont fix it is a good approach but if there is something to be gained or you have a reason, I'll help you do it. When your ready, send me a PM and I will call you and talk you through it.

Back