• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-8SQ800 > Overclocking > 12v Current

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RickShelton

Registered
GA-8SQ800 > Overclocking > 12v Current

If you are having problems overclocking this Mobo and you are using the Fan headers on the Mobo look at How much current those fans require.
I was begining to think my psu was causing my trouble, but all the checks I have done indicated that my PSU was not the problem. My PSU never dropped below 11.84 Volts on the 12v rail under load measured with a Digital Multimeter, but in MBM it dropped to 11.59 Volts.

So l thought maybe I was drawing to much current through the Motherboard and unplugged one Fan (rated @ .54a) and my system is totally stable now @ 166fsb and before I could only get it to 157fsb. I am going to try for more.
So unplug those Fans from the Motherboard and see if it makes a difference.

Rick

System Specs:
GA-8SQ800
P4-2.4b (SLEF)
Vantec Aeroflow
2-256 Hyperx @ddr400

Yes and now mbm doesn't go below 11.75v under load:)
I even put a lower amp fan on the Motherboard fan connector and its totally stable.
I was begining to think I needed a better PSU until I got the Multimeter out and did some checking.
:)
Rick

Rick,
That is a DEER!! You definitely need a new power supply. You’re finally putting some stress on that PSU and its showing its true colors. I had the same PSU for about 3 weeks, which came with a case I bought and it was horrible. The 12v line constantly jumped all over the place. Not good on your hardware. Also, my computer would seem to hesitate or lag now and again. I ended up taking it out and using a Fortron 250watt I had lying around until I was able to upgrade. That 250watt PSU blew the L&C 350 away. I just sold it on ebay for $12.00. Your power problems will surely diminish if you get a solid 350+watt Fortron/Sparkle or Antec PSU.

Rick, I have been considering the MoBo you have. How is it working out? How does it compare to its big bro the SINXP1394 for OCing? Are you using a Radeon 9x00? If so how stable is it?

2XS said:
Rick, I have been considering the MoBo you have. How is it working out? How does it compare to its big bro the SINXP1394 for OCing? Are you using a Radeon 9x00? If so how stable is it?

I am very pleased with the Board, it is my first Giga-Byte motherboard and you can feel the speed. I am only running my 2.4b @ 160fsb because of my PSU is not strong enough, I have a 500watt on the way. So that should make me reach 3ghz and be stable. Even with the crappy PSU I have I am running my Kingston HyperX pc2700 memory @ ddr400 and you can tell the difference Dual Channel DDR makes.
For the money I think its a better buy than the Sinxp1394, I got this one for $112 shipped from Newegg.

Rick

RickShelton said:

I am very pleased with the Board, it is my first Giga-Byte motherboard and you can feel the speed. I am only running my 2.4b @ 160fsb because of my PSU is not strong enough, I have a 500watt on the way. So that should make me reach 3ghz and be stable. Even with the crappy PSU I have I am running my Kingston HyperX pc2700 memory @ ddr400 and you can tell the difference Dual Channel DDR makes.
For the money I think its a better buy than the Sinxp1394, I got this one for $112 shipped from Newegg.

Rick

Gigabyte always makes good motherboards. you can really FEEL the power :D

Goodluck on trying to make it to 3G+!!! i wish i was in yourshoes when you reach 3! also, plz do show us some benchie's with it!

raven

I'm also seeing low 12v reading with a TruControl 550 (maxed on 12v rail). 12v is showing 11.77v. Haven't checked it with a DMM.

I have (2) 120x25 Evercool plugged into the board headers (each is .28a rated).

-----------------
8sq800-A0 w/mod F5 bios/2.4b sl6ef@160 for now
2x twinmos 512 pc3200 @ ddr400
PC60/VA1300 w/Maze3/HC

Back