• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which SIS655 MoBo is better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

2XS

I have been lurking here for a couple weeks and I thought I would ask everyones opinion .

I am looking at doing a Major upgrade to my system. I am considering one of the SIS655 base boards. Either the P4SDX or the SINXP1394. I am also waiting on a Radeon 9700 Pro which I plan on getting next month.

Which of these 2 boards really is the best at this time?

SINXP1394 This is the best motherboard but it will cost you $200.00 if you dont' want to spend that much on it then go with 8SQ800 also made by Gigabyte. Hope this helps.

GIGABYTE ROCKS!!!!!!!

Gigabyte SINXP1394 (8SQ800 Ultra 2) is the best Sis655 motherboard out there it comes in three variety to suit your needs

8SQ800 (Nothing on baord i.e. SATA,RAID,Sound,LAN,Dual Bios)
8SQ800 Ultra (slightly stripped down version of SINXP1394)
8SQ800 Ultra 2 (SINXP1394) - The Whole Deal

http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Products/ComparisonSheet_ChipsetType_SiS+655.htm

Check the above url for comparison between all three motherboards

After I posted this thread I kept asking myself if I need SATA,RAID and all the extras. And after about 2 week of reading every review I could find I have made up my mind and am gooing to get the 8SQ800. Because I really don't need ALL the extras. Besides by getting the cheaper of the 3 maybe I can get a couple of the Corsair XMS sticks.

BTW, Thanks for the help steering me in the right direction.

netime, i will wiil like to point out one thing when you upgrade you do keep margin of coming future in mind these things might not count to you right now but who knows you might need them coming tomorrow

if i was you i would have gone for 8SQ800 Ultra but none the less a good decission hope you will enjoy your board :)

great choice 2XS
I have 8SQ800 Ultra and I am very very happy with it.. I think it is the best in overclocking even though it might not be BUT this mobo impressed me. Let us know your overclocking experiences. ENJOY!!!:)

The PC that I am currently using is a P2 300 that I built several years ago. I saw where the springdale and canterwood chips would be out next month , but I wanted something reliable and proven.

I would have gone with the Ultra but it is not available in the States.

I have already checked both sites and I didn't see it on either site :( .

And because I am slightly over my budget I have to live without a few bells and whistles for a little while. Maybe after the new chipsets are released to the public I will be able to get a better board.

I looked everywhere and the Ultra is NOT available in North America yet. I just ordered the 8SQ800 myself. If the Ultra comes out in the next 30 days I'll just return it for an exchange.

Has anyone here had experience with the Asus P4SDX????

I can only relay what I’ve read.
I have always been a Asus fan but I don’t think that board is really tailored toward overclockers. It supposedly does not have AGP/PCI lock. Giga-byte seems to have the best SiS655 board out there right now.

the 8SQ800 Ultra is available in Canada, it sells at 199$CDN wich is roughly 133$US, here is the link :
ATOP

i too was on the look for those mobo and still havent decide if i should get the Ultra or non Ultra model...BTW the 8SQ800 has both sound and firewire support.

Prandtl- THX for the link.

I have to wiat till May for my new MOBO so I might see what the springdale and canterwood boards bring to the table. But th 8SQ800 is still at the top of the list.

Back