• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help overclocking 3ghz/8INXP ????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jackal2513

anyoen help ?

i will attempt my first oc tonight and need some guidelines.

firslty, presumably i increase the fsb in the bios by 1mhz increments and then test the system:

1) what do i keep the agp/pci freq. at ? Do i lock it at 33/66 (or whatever it is standard) ?

2) when rebooting, what test do i run to ensure stability ?

3) when do i give the CPU more voltage (presumably i leave other voltages like RAM etc... at default standard ?)

4) whats a very safe upper limit for the 3ghz p4 voltage ? I don't want to run any risks at all.

5) should i jump straight to acertain fsb speed cos obviosuly 134, 135, 138 etc is going to be 100% stable...

6) should i trust the gigabyte cpu temp. reading ? And what temp should i stick at (its running betweenb 40-44 at teh moment with stock heatsink)

7) is theres anything else i shoudl know then please let me know

btw: ram is 1gb Corsair XMS 3500

all help appreciated... looking forward to seeing what i can achieve.

lock your agp pci ratio.start off with stock voltage.depending on your cpu I'd increase the fsb in 5-10 mhz increments. once the cpu fails, bump the voltage up in .05 increments. keep voltage under 1.70 max( the lower the better) make sure your mem timings are relaxed. once u reach your max cpu oc, then run a stress test like prime95. if it fails drop the fsb 1 mhz at a time till it runs stable. follow the same steps with the mem timings. gradually increasing the settings till it produces errors on stress test .(you want to run the memory with the most aggresive timings even if you have to drop the fsb a little to get stability). as far as heat, try to keep my heat under 50 at the max(might want to invest in an after market hsf)
Everyone has their own sytem for overclocking and this is just a quick suggesting to get you started.....

okay thanks for that .....

what do you mean by memory timings though ? what settinsg are these and where do i change them ... can you give me an example ?

Also, when you say fail, how will i know that ive gone too far ? Will the system not boot ? will i get bluscreen ?

regards

Rich

I been runnin a rdram board for a long time so i aint an expert on ddr. however, in your bios there should be some options relating to mem timings something like 2-5-5-3-2, the faster you set these timings the better your memory works. when you go over the cpu max oc speed it will lock up, fail to boot into windows etc. you will definitely know.

flapperhead pretty much covered all you need to do. I do suggest to not go above 1.6 Vcore. Once you achieve a good stable O/C i would recommend doing a Burn-in of your CPU/DDR at least overnight or up to 24 hours. This will help mildly with your system stability. You may find you can raise a few more FSB stable after doing a Burn-in of each FSB increase therafter.

Back