• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking GA-8IHXP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Icem

Registered
I have raised the vcore up to its highest and the fsb only goes to 112 if i go higher when i reboot it says "wrong cpu settings!!".
BTW my temps are 34-36 idle and 36-38 load.
Please help!

Welsome to the Forums!!!

First of all, GET THAT vcore down!!!!! it will only do bad for you chip if you raise it. Have you ever heard of SNDS? Well thats a computer disease which occurs when your cpu is exposed to too much vcore..and there is no known cure for it. The best medicine for this is to NOT raise your voltage to anything higher then 1.7 ( which is still kidna high, if your using a northwood core pentium 4) Set your bios to default and then slowly raise your fsb. It also depends on what type of board and chip and memory you have, and if you have your AGP/PCI frequency speeds fixed or now! If you do not have a stable motherboad, you probably wont beable to overclock much. ( but you have an IHXP , so you have a good motherboard) what type of chip do you have? if its a williamette, then you wont get good overclocks, but if its a northwood, you've got a better chance at a good voerclock. And also your memroy, if it is cheap quality or not fast enought, then that could also be limiting your overclock. And also, if your AGP/PCI bus is too hight then your agp or pci cards probably cant take the speed so you might want to try to fix it to a certain frequency ( probably 67/33) or change the divider so that your agp and pci speeds are somewhree clos to 67 ( for AGP ) and 33 ( for PCI ). Hope this helps... Keep us posted on what happens!

raven

Last edited:
My vcore is below 1.7 it is at 1.65. i think it is set at +.200 or something like that. It is an intel 850E chipset. My cpu is a northwood, and i have tried to put bios on default and it dosent work:mad: I didnt mention my processor is a 2.0A, it dosnt have C1 it is BO

Last edited:
Icem said:
My vcore is below 1.7 it is at 1.65. i think it is set at +.200 or something like that. It is an intel 850E chipset. My cpu is a northwood, and i have tried to put bios on default and it dosent work:mad: I didnt mention my processor is a 2.0A, it dosnt have C1 it is BO

If i remember correctly, the 2.0A's wernt good overclcokers, you could just have a bad chip? how fast is your memory?

raven

sorry dude, i cant think of anything right now.. yoru memory should be fine
why dont oou list out your system spec by spec, and then we might beable to find a problem'.

raven

well I have a 350 watt psu, gforce4 ti4400, GA-8ihxp mobo, 1066 kingston RDram, pentium 4 2.0A gig processor, maxtor 80 gig HD, HP Cd burner, and watercooling.

Icem said:
i was wondering if this is a good cpu http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80646 My friend has this cpu and it is c1 stepping.

Thats a really nice chip.. should do from 3 to 3.6

ive been hearing that that chip and the 1.8C1 stepping are just clocked down 3.06's which coudlnt cut it at 3.06.

If your interested in that chip, i say go for it.. cant lose, compared to your 2.0A

raven

Last edited:
well i cant get a new cpu because my mom and dad will not let me, I have to use my money for gas. So if you guys can do anything to help me i will really appreciate it. BTW thanks for your help so far.

3dmark 2001 se said that the Internal Clock Maximum:3 GHz, does that mean i can oc it to 3.o gig

sorry dude, only thing i can suggest is to get a new chip... maybe lower the memory timings on the mem, and lock the agp/pci if you havent done so, so that it doesnt hurt your agp or pci cards.

raven

how can you change the agp/pci ratio with the 8iHXP? i cant find such an option in my bios. i have managed to get my FBS stable @ 152 with default voltage, 1.5 agp voltage. full load temps are 41C

isnt there a 3rd party utility to take care of it? how the **** can i get it to work with a 156FBS ffs!!! i 've tried setting the vcore to the max, (1.7), increased agp voltage, the system boots, without restarting but i dont get a signal on my monitor. it doesnt restart though

Icem,
As raven suggested, a new chip is in your best interest. A 2.2Ghz/533 can be had for $150 or less. Prices are dropping again very soon. The 2.2/533 OCs great.

I found the 2.2 & 2.8 cpu to be a better OCer compared to the 3.06.

Also, you might consider a 450W+ PSU, better all around performance, stability & OCing. With watercooling, your sys has great potential, with the right cpu.

The GA-8IHXP will NOT control agp/pci ratio with a bios change. The board design would require a hardware modification, for this to happen. That's why EasyTune4 is not fully compatible & won't be unless a hardware revision of the 8IHXP is produced to allow this. This isn't likely to happen. If anything, Gigabyte may latch on the SiS 659 chipset, with rdram 1200/1333 capability, & a design that allows for higher FSB settings, than we have with the 8IHXP.

alright i bought a 2.4bGHz processor and i try ocing it and it works but when i reboot it says "CPU SETTING WRONG!".

Back