• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best place to buy somewhat old stuff?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n_ick2000

Hey guys

I'm looking for a good (as in pretty good rating) vendor that sells somewhat old stuff. I've checked the usual places (newegg, and googlegear) but neither of them sell anything like that.

I am going to build a pretty small secondary rig. The idea is I don't like rebooting between my windows and linux partitions so I decided to build a seperate Windows rig. I am not looking for anything fancy. Basically it will be used to write code.

I've already got a case and monitor. I'm trying to go for something like an Amd k6-2 or something. The motherboard I am to get is one I have used in the past. Asus P5A-B. It supports almost all socket 7 prosessors ever made. Maybe a cheap crap $20 video card to go with it as well.

I don't have much money right now, so I want this stuff cheap. Any reccomendations?

Is the case you're planning on using an AT or ATX?
If it is an ATX, then you might find it easier/cheaper to with Slot 1, or an older Socket A . ATX Super 7 boards are readily available on Ebay of course, but you have to be careful, and choose your auction to get a good deal on one.
If you are using an AT case, Ebay is probably your best bet. But sniping is once again going to be necessary. Asus P5A-B boards regularly go for over $40.00, more than they are really worth. K6-2+ CPU's and Super Seven AT boards are the best performing combo for AT cases, and neither are readily available through normal retail outlets anymore, so the prices have become inflated.

www.compgeeks.com has a lot of old stuff (they dont have a great reseller rating) but I have ordered several different items from them over the past year (motherboards, digital camera etc...) with no probs. and friends of mine have also bought from them.

either way I think you'll have better luck with them than some random pricewatch vendor

Back