• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A chip thats hotter than a processor.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yuriman

I just put an amd in an intel mobo(socket 7) and now there is this chip that needs a cpu heatsink and fan because it heats up just as much as the new cpu does. Why does this black chip near the processor get so hot, and what does it do?

Have a picture? What does it say on the chip? I am running a socket 7 and there are a lot of chips on it. Wiat, I upgraded. Its downstairs lemme go check.

I got winbond chips to the right, ali to the left (north bridge) and a few inches more to the left the integrated video.

What kind of board do you have? Mine is an Acer V58XA.

NO, its not the chipset. Its a black chip sticking out of the mobo on 3 prongs, and coms from the factory with a huge black heatsink attached. It is between the powersupply connection to the mobo and the processor. Perhaps all the wattage in the processor has to pass through this chip, and thats why it heats up?

Back