• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Memory Frequency question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zachary

Registered
Hi,

i've overclocked my 1.6Ghz to 1.92Ghz and it is running stable....

this was not the case earlier, as even a slight increase in the CPU freq (from 100 to 105
caused XP to crash and i had to re-install everything).

Now my CPU/PCI frequency is 122/41 and it seems normal....(I cannot, for the life of me, find
where I can lock in my PCI freq. to 33)

all I changed was CPU/Memory Frequenecy Ratio. It was set at 'auto', but i moved it to 1:1
just for the heck of it, and things seems to keep stable..

BUT,

can anyone tell me what the heck the CPU/Memory Frequency is?? I have the manual for the
motherboard, but it just states the obvious and does not go into detail.

the options available for the CPU/Memory Frequency Ratio are:

Auto (stock)
1:1 (currently on this one)
3:4
3:5

my mobo is a P4S333-VM and I have PC2100 RAM (512 mb total)

is my current setting unusual?? or am I OK??

thanks,

Zach.

Zachary said:
...can anyone tell me what the heck the CPU/Memory Frequency is?? I have the manual for the
motherboard, but it just states the obvious and does not go into detail.

Zach, your CPU frequency and your memory frequency are both just that; frequencies. That is, the amount of "cycles" that your processor and RAM execute per second. Each computer instruction requires a certain number of cycles, so the CPU frequency determines how many instructions per second the CPU can execute, and the memory frequency determines how may instructions per second the RAM can store, move around, and "execute".

The CPU frequency is determined by 2 things: the frequency that the motherboard's Front Side Bus (FSB) operates at, and the CPU's clock multiplier. CPU frequency = (FSB frequency) x (CPU clock multiplier). So your particular processor (at stock speed) is running at 100 MHz (FSB frequency) x 16 (CPU clock multiplier) which is equal to 1600 MHz, or 1.6 GHz.

Your memory frequency is determined by the FSB frequency and the CPU/Memory Frequenecy Ratio. If the FSB on your motherboard is running @ 100 MHz, and your CPU/Memory Frequency is 3:4, then your memory will be operating at a frequency (4/3) times the frequency that your CPU is recieving from the FSB (100 MHz * (4/3) = 133 MHz). So your memory would be running at a speed of 133 MHz in this case (or "266 MHz" if you are running DDR RAM, since DDR does twice as much work as SDRAM).

Zachary said:
is my current setting unusual?? or am I OK??

You're fine... ...(I'm sort of confused as to what you mean by your current setting being unusal or OK - be a bit more specific).

Last edited:
Back