• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI @ 30 is that good??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

killerpredat

Registered
i have OV my rig, the max setting for the FSB is 150/30 and 150/38. i think that the second number must be the speed of the PCI bus. is the PCI bus supposed to be 33MHZ??
my computer wont boot up with 150/38.i am currently running @ 150/30. is the performance hit from the slower PCI speed big??should i kept ot @ 30 or down the FSB a notch and take the PCI higher??

You want to haod your PCI and up your fsb if possible. The PCI is for the cards like sound, modem, network, etc. Increasing the performance of these at cost to lower cpu performance would be the wrong way to go. Some of the boards actualy havee a lock for the PCI bus so they can up the fsb.

You might run some benchmarks to see what performace hit you are getting, but generally I would not recommend underclocking the PCI bus. I'd probably back off a tad on the overclock until it was stable again. You must have a device that don't like the high PCI bus speed. My first guess would be a LAN card (network card or ethernet card). Try removing that or disabling it and see if it works.

the only PCI device conected is my soundblaster audigy card. the Network card is bult in the mobo, which is the P4T533-C.

On-board LAN and on-board sound, etc. still runs off the PCI bus as does the IDE controller and other devices. That's why high PCI bus speeds will sometimes cause problems with harddrives.

Back