• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Springdale or Canterwood? Got a look see last night...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Terry

As a few of you know I work for H*. Last night at work a small group of us were introduced to two new models of PCs. One a Mini-Tower and the other a Small Form Factor Desktop. Both had the same motherboard. What I noticed immediately was onboard Serial ATA, power connectors for Serial ATA, Dual Channel DDR, and the southbridge had among other things 'Intel Secret' printed on the top of it. The MT had a conventional HS/Fan but the SFF had a heatsink with a centrifical blower on top of it... pretty neat. They had 4 memory slots, 2 brown/2 blue. They were asking us input on assembly problems we noticed for mass production. I was dying to know what CPU was on them since in the back of my head I am thinking "200mhz FSB!" So I popped the HS/Blower off the SFF and wiped away the silver thermal paste. Below the PIV greeted me with the words "Intel Confidential" standing out on the very top line. I was dying to know what it was [real speed] but could not get a straight answer fom them. The PCs of course had AGP slots and had onboard video and sound.

What I am wondering is how do you tell the difference between the Springdale and Canterwood chipsets? I hope they leave them around for a few more days to inspect.

Cool!

Keep us up to speed.

Would they let you power them up during you inspection?

You are reading my mind. They were on a big conference table with no monitors/powercords/keyboards/or mice. I was just thinking though, if they are still there tonight I want to look at the memory and see if it is PC3200. I really want to find out if they are Springdales or Canterwoods the most. And of course what CPUs are lurking in them. I am pretty good friends with 2 of the R&D guys so I am gonna try to pry some info out of them [maybe see if I can talk one of them into booting one up too see the boot screen or something]. I did offer to take one of the CPUs home and 'TEST' it which got a few chuckles! We were free to take them apart and put them back together. Something new was a motherboard tray, which both had, and it was the same part for both. I told them the SFF was awfully crowded inside where the main cable bundle really was blocking the power supply fan. The PS was really long, nearly the whole lenghth of the case, from front to back with a pretty small 60mm fan as an intake. No other exhaust except the blower on top of the CPU heatsink

I remember awhile back seeing 3.06 Xeon test workstations about 3 months before the 3.06 Xeons were for sale. And they were on Placer chipsets [Dual Channel DDR].

Last edited:
If u can take them apart, take off the northbridge heatsink and the numbers will read 82875P for canterwood and if not then springdale.

Pure guess, but i'm thinking the Intel confidential processor could be one of the new 3.2ghz 800fsb jobbies

Since my initial post here the new PCs are in full scale production.

SFF/Mini Tower/4100 Workstations. All Dual Channel goodness.

How I wish I could :)

Last week I saw a tray with 18 brand new ES P4s sitting in it. I am only guessing but since we had just gotten them in I'd hazard to guess at least a few were 3.2ghz 800s.

Back