• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

800 FSB review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Intresting article thanks for the link, SiS is being very aggressive i must say a healthy change

For this type of review we needed a dual channel DDR motherboard that was capable of memory speeds up to dual DDR400 and at 533MHz FSB. The only motherboards that offer this kind of capability are ones based on the SiS 655 chipset. After testing the few SiS 655 motherboards currently available, the Gigabyte SINXP1394 (SiS 655) motherboard was the only 655 motherboard we were able to get working at 800MHz FSB. This setup was not stable 100% of the time, but was just good enough to run our benchmarks at 800MHz FSB

woah!! SINXP is definately a nice board no wonder its so popular around, but we do have to keep in mind that these tests were done using a overclocked processor to make it a 800mhz not an actual one, actual results may vary (i think for good because there won't be any overclocking by default so in case of overclock the results should be even more better strickly theoratically speaking here)

Overall i must say intresting read :)

I wouldn't freak out about that board as yet because the guys at Anand say that the board wasn't fully stable . There will likely be no stable 800 FSb capable SIS 655 based boards until they ship on the 655FX chipset in the next 1-2 months . The 655FX and 648FX ( do not confuse with Nvidia ) will natively allow 800 FSB and have been validated to do so .

Actually they said that SIS655 chipset will be supporting 800Mhz but they are not sure if Intel will make any last minute changes to their new prescott chips which might cause 8SQ800 Ultra 2 to not support that chip. And they are still waiting for the final words from Gigabyte. Otherwise, think about it, what would be the point of having GSB upto 355Mhz if you can't even overclock that high with liquid nitrogen.

i think so intel will be making some changes, i think no one expected SiS to bring out such an aggressive chipset in market and Intel do have to sell their own chipset and i don't see any reason for them to be "nice" to SiS or give them any easier time :)

None the less i was impressed by SINXP's performance and the kind of bashing it can / was taking in that benchmark

Was anyone else underwhelmed by the results of this test? I know this was a jury-rigged way to get to 800MHz FSB. But it was still a test between 800MHz FSB and 533MHz FSB, and I expected more than a five percent improvement in game performance.

This is beginning to smell a little like the Granite Bay, where a big increase in a technical spec offered very little in the way of application perfomance.

BHD

if im not mistaken, but with the new HT chips, wont the multiplier be lower which would improve the performance of the chip? I remember reading somewhere on this forum about how if the multiplier is lower and the FSB higher, then the computer performs better. Maybe we will see some improvment from this.

raven

BaldHeadedDork said:
Was anyone else underwhelmed by the results of this test? I know this was a jury-rigged way to get to 800MHz FSB. But it was still a test between 800MHz FSB and 533MHz FSB, and I expected more than a five percent improvement in game performance.

This is beginning to smell a little like the Granite Bay, where a big increase in a technical spec offered very little in the way of application perfomance.
BHD
That's kind of what I was thinking. Maybe the lackluster improvement was caused by the slow cpu (it would have been better if the tests were done with a 3GHz instead of a 2.4GHz). Also, the SPEC tests showed a much bigger improvement (about 20%) than the game tests. So maybe today's games just aren't pushing the FSB to its limits.

I don't know. Given how this test was conducted I'm going to wait and see how the actual Northwood C and 865PE boards run. But if these results are accurate, the only reason I'd have to consider upgrading would be to get more overclocking headroom-if there is more overclocking headroom.

It will also be interesting to see what happens with Northwood B and 845PE pricing after the new chips and boards are released. We've (okay, I've) been operating under the presumption that the 2.4C will release at the same price point as the current B, but the falling price for the B in recent weeks indicates that Intel is going to market and price the new offerings as a seperate line from the older boards and chips.

BHD

baraka said:

That's kind of what I was thinking. Maybe the lackluster improvement was caused by the slow cpu (it would have been better if the tests were done with a 3GHz instead of a 2.4GHz). Also, the SPEC tests showed a much bigger improvement (about 20%) than the game tests. So maybe today's games just aren't pushing the FSB to its limits.
id say yeah the games dont push the cpu speeds yet so far they only push the vidcard,whats the highest req you seen on cpu for a game,the highest ive seen is 1.4ghz,we will have to wait for doom 3

BaldHeadedDork said:
I don't know. Given how this test was conducted I'm going to wait and see how the actual Northwood C and 865PE boards run. But if these results are accurate, the only reason I'd have to consider upgrading would be to get more overclocking headroom-if there is more overclocking headroom.

It will also be interesting to see what happens with Northwood B and 845PE pricing after the new chips and boards are released. We've (okay, I've) been operating under the presumption that the 2.4C will release at the same price point as the current B, but the falling price for the B in recent weeks indicates that Intel is going to market and price the new offerings as a seperate line from the older boards and chips.
BHD
What's the Northwood C? Is that the one with the 800MHz FSB?

Back