• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4PE Only 1 IDE hard drive works?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bmxers21

Registered
Hi I tried hooking up my other 40gb hard drive as a slave.. but when I do it will not see any of the drives.. Can you only hook up one at a time or something?

Hi, i don't want you to take this the wrong way but have you check the Jumpers on both of the HD's?

oh and this review might be right up your alley

"WEAKNESSES:
Interface with Power Supply does not work properly.
Expensive.
Hard to get working because of badly designed IRQ tables.
Does not support two Hard Drives off of RAID controller except in RAID configuration.
Only one IDE RAID line.
May not be able to access data on old drives.
BIOS is confusing."

quote from NCIX.com article found at http://www.ncix.com/usa/productreviewread.php?product_id=8729

Warning: this is a bad review..which doesnt make sence 'cause i was actually thinking of buying the P4PE..which i had the impression to be one of the best mobo under 200$ Canadian. it sells for an average of 160$CDN

Tip of the Day: Due to P4PE chipset limitations, Pentium 4 systems will not support two floppy drives ..hmm

Hi thanks for trying to help. yeah I checked the jumpers to make sure the master is set to master and slave to slave. as for that
review my mother board works great! the only thing I havent got to work is the hard drive thing.. I don't have it on a RAID settup..
is there only RAID and SATA? and not dual IDE drives to one IDE controller? I have a CDrw on IDE2 set to master and on IDE1 the master and slave hd.. maybe I need to move where its plugged into on the cable?? anyways I'll mess around with it more today..

Please post your findings as I have this MB on order. I have had issues in the past with multiple HD's with the: A7V-133, P4B533-E and now I will too on the P4PE...But I LOVE my ASUS MB's I won't use anything else.

Hmm I got it working.. I had to have it setup the same way it was before... I put it on IDE2 with the cdrw and its working.. :D

I have no problems with two HD's on the primary IDE channel of my P4PE. I set them both up as "Cable Select", and using an ATA66 cable, plug the master or boot drive onto the black connector and the slave onto the gray connector. I too run into problems when I try to use the Master/Slave jumpers on the HD's.

hmmm I think I tried that.. but I may not have had them on the right spot on the cable.. But its working now so I dont really wanna mess with it now hehe.

i too have had this problem. IDE2 has 2 CDROM's on it working just fine, but IDE1 if i put more than one hard drive on it than it fails. the one that is on there now is jumpered to cable select and it is detected as a slave. if i add another HD it doesn't matter what the jumper is set for, it won't detect either HD

Back