• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats cmos?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Icem

Registered
I have heard of it but i forgot what is was. I have a GA-8IHXP to clear cmos dont i remove battery

yes, i think that is what you do, though i havent done it myself before.

CMOS: Abbreviation of complementary metal oxide semiconductor. Pronounced see-moss, CMOS is a widely used type of semiconductor. CMOS semiconductors use both NMOS (negative polarity) and PMOS (positive polarity) circuits. Since only one of the circuit types is on at any given time, CMOS chips require less power than chips using just one type of transistor. This makes them particularly attractive for use in battery-powered devices, such as portable computers. Personal computers also contain a small amount of battery-powered CMOS memory to hold the date, time, and system setup parameters.

raven

Last edited:
Complimentary Metal Oxide Semiconductor. It is a chip that retains the systems configuration settings. It is powered by a battery so it is independent of the systems power.
Most motherboards have a jumper that shorts out the system to clear the CMOS memory. With some, you have to remove the battery to do it.

so if i remove my battery would it mees the mobo up?

No, but it will clear the information stored in the CMOS chip.
The BIOS chip (Basic Input Output System) has most of the necessary hardware information progammed into it. It is flash programmed (burned), so it cannot be reset easily the way CMOS can.
If you clear CMOS, your computer will default to the basic settings of the BIOS, and redetect your drives and other hardware. Of course, you will have to reset the clock, and reset the CMOS to whatever you had that wasn't default, such as higher Frontside Bus speed, fast memory timings, etc.
The idea is that if you paint yourself into a corner by setting the busspeed, (for example) too high to allow it to POST (Power On Self Test) or boot, you can clear CMOS and start from scratch.

Last edited:
I don't know about the IHXP, but I have the INXP and if you set timings too agressive the board will reset to default timings after 20 seconds. I'm not sure if Gigabyte does this on all of their boards though.

Skeetman

Back