• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4G8X owner, what kinda memory are you using???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
to all P4G8X owner, what kinda memory are you running??

amount? brand? timing? dimm. voltage? how fast?

i've tried 3 P4 chips, 1 2.4b SL6EF, 1 2.4b SL6RZ costa rica week 52 (surppose to be one of the best chip/week), 1 1.8C1 week50.

all of them stop right at 3.3GHz (183-184MHz). regardless what voltage i feed them. 185MHz will start having Prime95 error or reboot or BSOD on all of the chip. i'm starting to think it's the memory..... (otherwise how could pretty much all the chip stop at (almost) the same MHz?!

btw, i'm using 2 sticks of Corsair PC3200LL. but i've heard Corsair need 2.7+v. in order to run at spec. tried different timing, still won't help at all!! therefore, i'm wondering what type of memory are you guys running and how high could it go?

tks in advance for your help/advice!!

I am running 2 single sided sticks of Samsung PC3200. I read in the book that the board only supports single sided RAM. I've gotten it up as high as 198fsb Prime95 stable with a mobile cpu. Which BIOS are you running? I'm running 1003 BIOS with 2.7v on my RAM. I've also found at higher fsb's not too lock PCI at 33, some simetimes I'll lock it at like 33.4 or 34.

did it say that?? single side only?? now who make the single side 512MB PC3200 or higher then??

i'm running the tweaked BIOS from x86-secret. and i do manually set the AGP/PCI to 66/33.

:rolleyes:

Put the AGP/PCI to AUTO or at 1-2 MHz above 66/33......NOT 66/33....Then run your ram(which are the best you could have) with Memory turbo to DISABLE so as to run at T2 and not T1.......and finaly start with the most relaxed timings and go little by little higher.......If your ram run at Cas 2-2-2-5(witch I doubt of) at over 180MHz then try to ENABLE the Memory turbo....Also try 2-2-2-6 or 7 ....and 2-2-3-6 or 7 ;)

hipro5 said:
Put the AGP/PCI to AUTO or at 1-2 MHz above 66/33......NOT 66/33....Then run your ram(which are the best you could have) with Memory turbo to DISABLE so as to run at T2 and not T1.......and finaly start with the most relaxed timings and go little by little higher.......If your ram run at Cas 2-2-2-5(witch I doubt of) at over 180MHz then try to ENABLE the Memory turbo....Also try 2-2-2-6 or 7 ....and 2-2-3-6 or 7 ;)
tks george. and i did follow your direct to disable the "Turbo" mode on memory, and it runs fine at 183MHz 2-2-2-6. and the Corsair is rated at 2-2-2-5-1T @ 200MHz. i even tried to disable the tweak BIOS, and it's the same. BIOS or reboot or locks up when booting Windows. that's why i start to think it's the memory v. or something. 'cos i've read somewhere that Corsair PC3200 needs at least 2.7-2.8v to run at spec.

i'll try to set AGP/PCI to Auto, and see if it helps.

the reason i'm asking the question and need quick answer is mainly b/c i only have less than 2 weeks left to RMA it for a refund. (great service from newegg!!)

What about cooling on the northbridge? Mine is very hot at even at 150fsb. I read some of those 4GHz articles at THG and H OCP and they both had to use active cooling on the northbridge to go past 180ish.

TC said:
What about cooling on the northbridge? Mine is very hot at even at 150fsb. I read some of those 4GHz articles at THG and H OCP and they both had to use active cooling on the northbridge to go past 180ish.
yeah, it gets pretty HOT!! i put a 80mm fan blowing directly on it.....for now, since i'm still playing around with it and leave the side open (and make the side window). so, northbridge cooling isn't a problem. later on, i might cut a hole on the side and permenantly put a fan on it, or eprox a TT chipset cooler on it that i have sitting around.

LandShark said:
did it say that?? single side only?? now who make the single side 512MB PC3200 or higher then??

i'm running the tweaked BIOS from x86-secret. and i do manually set the AGP/PCI to 66/33.

:rolleyes:
This is from the manual.
p4g.jpg

A friend of mine with EVERYTHING stock could do (on Prometeia) 200fsb with his P4 2.4bGHz.After Modding the Mobo could do 205fsb.....He ALSO has 2 x Corsair 256Mb XMS3200 LL series and they are doing great at 2.7Vmem and at 200fsb.....

hipro5 said:
A friend of mine with EVERYTHING stock could do (on Prometeia) 200fsb with his P4 2.4bGHz.After Modding the Mobo could do 205fsb.....He ALSO has 2 x Corsair 256Mb XMS3200 LL series and they are doing great at 2.7Vmem and at 200fsb.....
Which mod?

jgtdragon said:
Landshark,
You sure have some nice chips in your hand. :)
man, i was thinking it was the chip, and sold one the SL6EF 2.4b to SkyHook :p (hope he'll like it?!)

but i still have the 2.4b SL6RZ Costa Rica week52 sitting on the desktop. i think i might retest the chip again after i max. out this little 1.8a c1.

and many tks to all of you guys!!! i've set the AGP/PCI to AUTO now, and it's running at 3.35GHz @ 1.6v. 2-3-3-6, Prime95'ing for the pass 20mins already! (which it was sometimes not even possible to boot into windows or have enough time to fried up Prime95 before BSOD!!) still crossing my finger.......

guess i'll retest the 2.4b later on after max. out this chip.

Many TKS to all of you's great help/advice!!!! :)

well, there it comes ............. again...........:(

Prime95 gave me an error after 30mins. i wondering when Prime95 gave out error, does it usually related to CPU or memory??

i pump the v.core now to 1.625v (it undervolt. under loaded to 1.58-1.60), and try it again.....

Using:

512 MB original Infineon PC333 CL2,5 made in USA
512 MB orginal Infineon PC333 CL2,5 made in Malaysia

156 MHz
2-2-2-5-16-turbo
2,7 V

LandShark said:
well, there it comes ............. again...........:(

Prime95 gave me an error after 30mins. i wondering when Prime95 gave out error, does it usually related to CPU or memory??

i pump the v.core now to 1.625v (it undervolt. under loaded to 1.58-1.60), and try it again.....

Yes it undervolts to 1.58VCore when you put the VCore at 1.625.......Try to have your VCore at 1.625 at full load and DON'T afraid the Overvoltage at Idle , cos it just DON'T hurt the CPU(No high current is floating for electomigration) ;)

Back