• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which memory for 8SQ800?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

guppie

This may be a stupid question, but I understand that this board supports Dual DDR... So, does that mean I have to buy 2 memory modules in order to attain the benefits if Dual DDR?

If so, then what memory should I get? I know Corsair XMS 3500 is the s**t, but what about this newer Kingston Hyper-X, OCZ, or Geil? Corsair is expensive as heck...

Building GA8SQ800/P4 2.4GHz/512MB/GF4 Ti4200 (looking to get a mild overclock like 2.8, not too extreme). Will 3200 vs 3500 make a significant difference, too?

Yes you will need two sticks of memory to utilize Dual channel DDR. It officially supports up to PC3200 but people are having good results with certain PC3500 sticks. I have some OCZ PC3200 on the way right now. Corsair is hit or miss with SiS655 chip. It's to fast and some are having problems getting the system to even boot up in Dual-Channel mode. Could be they're just not setting the timmings up right. But it's officially supported.

Here is the official link for the supported memory.

I woudl go with the Hyper-X, but that is just me. Geil ad OCZ are decent companies too. THe El-DDR is supposed to be good! Atleast some people have posted good with it.

raven

Just picked up my 8sq800 today. I'm running 2x512 twinmos 3200 (winbond) @ 2.5-7-3-3 as I'm still burning-in. Right now at 160fsb (sl6ef) w/400mem.

I am seriously considering buying this mobo soon, as it seems like the best sis 655 mobo.. cheapest too $102 on newegg..

The memory I am thinking of getting is CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, Low Latency (Twin Pack) 512MB(2 x 256MB) 2x(32MX64) PC-2700LLPT With Platinum - Silver Heat Spreader.

You said corsair memory is a hit or a miss with the sis 655? even this memory.. its made for dual ddr... ?

Would this memory work good, or should I get a dif kind to be safe?

You said corsair memory is a hit or a miss with the sis 655? even this memory.. its made for dual ddr... ?
There are a couple of guys over at the asus boards who put the SiS655 MOBO's through a lot of testing. I think the problems were only with the LL sticks, not the C2's. Its been a while since I looked at this thread so the issue may have been resolved.

Have at it...
asus boards SiS655 Corsair thread

Back