• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ECSp4vxasd2+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

seeker

Hi to all,
A friend of mine has an ECSp4vxasd2+ with a 2 gig celeron (400fsb he thinks) coming. He and I know a little about the "other brand" cpu's and mb's but next to nothing about the wonderful world of intel. He got a brand new retail cpu/mb for a $100 so....

My question(s)..does this board play well with overclockers?
If not, would it be worthwhile to get a better board?
I heard (I think) that these 2.0's clocked up pretty good. (sad L2 tho :(
and he is a bit of a gamer).
Yes, I have googled and forum searched :)

Any direct experience or direct links concerning this particular combo would be appreciated. muchas grass in advance........

"If it weren't for the brave, there would be no land of the free"

My room mate and my mom got the $100 deal at fry's electronics for the same motherboard and C1 stepping celeron 2.0ghz.

The ecs board is not that great for overclocking. However, the 2.0ghz celeron will run at 2.66ghz instantly on the ecs mobo. You don't need to increase voltage and any heatsink will do just fine. The temperatures are around 37C under full load. All you need to do is set the jumper to 133fsb and thats it!

Since both of them only use their pcs to surf the internet and check email, the celeron @ 2.66ghz works great. however, I ran 3dmark out of curiosity and tried playing NOLF 2 and the performance is horrific.

As for getting a new board, I don't think its worth it. A celerons purpose is for a budget setup and getting an overclockers board to get it up to 3100mhz won't give you all that much performance for things such as gaming that require at least 256k L2 cache. If your friend had a C1 pentium 4, then it would be a different story :)

-efini

I forgot that you can still vid pin wire wrap a pentium 4 to 'trick' the ecs into giving it more voltage. This would probably work best with a 1.8 b0 pentium 4 and possibly a 2.0ghz b0.

-efini

Thanks much for that info efini,
I talked to him earlier today and he said about the same thing.
He's been messin with it for a couple of days and is not happy.
he's got a decent vid card and he said 3D benches suck.
Told me his old tbird 700 slot beat it with the same sdram and video.
all I could think of was the L2.....we lives and we learns :)

thanks again, tony

(edit) oh yeah, almost forgot, anyone wanna trade....heh heh heh

Last edited:
I have an ECS combo but it's a P4 combo with a 2.53 socket 478 and a support up to 533 FSB. It's fast but not as fast as probably one of the better brand name boards. Heck the board lists as $59.99. Last guy who I helped with an ECS combo had a bad battery for the CMOS. I just got the board and had set it up a few days ago but I haven't upgraded the bios or try anything like that.

I have the ATI 9000 with 128MB video, Sblaster Live, UltraSCSI-160 drive and a few 7200 EIDE drives for a total of 140GB of crap.

My previous was a PIII ABIT BE6-II board with the ram maxed out with 756MB of ECC PC-133 Ram. I thought the PIII was faster. But wait a minute. My PIII was KICKASS and makes some P4s seem like 486's. I just wanted the CPU 2.53 so I can get a better board later.

I have no heat problem as my setup is in a 4U rackmount and the fans I use can keep any machine cool. My room isn't quite a mansion so having multiple machines drove me to start using rackmouns for space reasons. At first I was skeptical but I can theoritically run all the PC's on my block with all the junk in my room. Keep posting with this, there might be something you did that I haven't done.

I tried to flash the bios, check if there are any patches. It's slower than heck and I'm about to sell if for 50 bucks any takers? I'm more a power user and this doesn't do well with me as it seems like everything is auto on the board. I haven't tried the jumpers and thats probably the problem I bet. Oh well I want an ABIT like all my other boards

Not this board

Did some reading and this is a board for low end PC's that want to run P4 CPU's. It's market is the low budget group and the wanna be trying to run the higher cpu speeds.

It's a stable board I guess but I have to switch from SDRAM to DDR. SDRAM and this board together your CPU is a no-no basically. And if the ram is ECC it's even worse. Only two slots of memory and little customizing on the board makes it a beginners type board. Unless your into that. I suggest the theory...."You get what you paid for". I think it goes perfect with the ECS boards. I bought it for the CPU anyways. I didn't think it would last. I haven't used the new comp because I think it's slower than my old PIII 750. with 768 ECC pc133 SDRAM. The ECS website says that the PIII with ECC ram is very stable. Says it's a bad combo with this board though. Mainly pushes DDR ram.

Back