• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hoytron

I recently came upon a website, and then became inspired to start a new project. After reading some interesting information on the Pentium 4 Mobile processor at:
http://www.vr-zone.com/guides/Intel/P4M/

I've decided that I will use one of these chips to build a new system. From what I've read, the P4 Mobile CPU will defualt to a 12x multilier with little difficulty when placed in a desktop board. This makes it possible to run the chip at an insanely high front side bus(200MHz+). Looking at the fastest DDR memory currently available, I could run a syncronous memory bus at 233MHz. That would leave the chip running at 2.8GHz, an achievable goal with increased voltage and adequate cooling. For optimal memory bandwidth, I would like to use a board with dual channel DDR. My question is, what board should I use? Here is a list of requirements:

Highly adjustable FSB settings (233MHz+)
Variable voltages for CPU (and memory is possible)
Dual Channel DDR support
Intel chipset
Ability to keep all other buses at stock speed (AGP, PCI, USB etc.)

Some other options of personal preference(not required):
Onboard ATA/100 or ATA/133 RAID
Onboard Sound
Onboard LAN
AGP 8X/Pro

Any ideas y'all?

8SQ800 Ultra

Well, let's see you can get everything with a gigabyte 8SQ800 Ultra 2 and it's got FSB upto 355Mhz. But the only it doesn't have is the Intel Chipset. It's got SIS 655 Chipset which is awesome and SIS is really improving. It's got ATA 150 instead of 133 for future drives. But the price of this motherboard is $200.00 but you can get 8SQ800 = most striped down version. The most striped down version only costs about $100.00 and it's got everything you want with high 355Mhz FSB, AGP 8X, etc. but it does not have RAID, SATA.

Or you can also have a look at MSI 655 Max
This mobo supports FSB upto 250Mhz but it is very hard to reach it. And it's got all the features you are looking for. Price = $115.00 at newegg.com
Check it out.

MSI as far as 655 chipset is concerned do not have good reputation, with all due respect in 655 gigabyte is the leader without any doubt

Do check out 8SQ800 series (8SQ800 Ultra 2 AKA SINXP1394)

Where would you find a mobile CPU. I went to pricewatch and they don't have any. I would sure love to get one.

I did a search on pricewatch for "Pentium 4 Mobile," and I got a few results. www.MWAVE.com has them, and they start at about $180 for the 1.7GHz. The 1.8GHz is only $3 more, so I would go for that, though they will all default to 1200MHz in a desktop board. Good luck and let me know how it works out.

Back