• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions about p4g8x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kingdom

Im thinking about changing my p4pe with a p4g8x and at the same time sell my 512mb 3200corsair and buy some 2*256 kingston hyperx 3200 (they are available 10 miles away from me dont wanna wait one week) :)

Well some quesiont on th p4g8x board :

1. Does it over and under volt like the p4pe ? ie. overvolting during idle and undervolting during load ?

2. What are the temp readings like ? way of or somewhat close ?

3. Is the board a better overclocker than the p4pe ?

4. At what fsb speed will the memory timings be throttled down ?

5. Any known issues with the board ?

6. Is it worth it other than in sisoft sandra ? i mean do you nitoce the bigger memory bandwidth ?

Thank you, and i hope for some quick answers since im planning on going out and buying this stuff tomorow :)

Hello!

Let me try to help you, so here we go: :)

1) Yes of course, this is normal on any 0,13µ Intel-CPU and intented by Intel. Lowering the core-coltage under load helps to lower the temperature and increases the lifetime of the CPU.
BIOS voltage-increments in 0,025 V Steps are allowed, but no decrements. :-/

2) Hm, don't know exactly what you mean. Temperatures seem to be somewhat realistic, I guess.

3) Hard to say, I've never been using a P4PE (but an Abit BD7II-RAID). Overclocking is a little more limited here, since the P4G8X is only equipped with a 2-phase voltage regulation. My max-oc with 160 MHz (stable@BD7II-R) is still to reach yet. I am sitting at stable 156 MHz now.

4) Throttling comes into action @ >= 140 MHz. So, however, you can find a way around that using the Tweak-BIOS from x86-secret.com, or, if you mind flashing a non-original BIOS, by using wpcredit.

5) Yes. ;) It's the "most perfect" board I did ever use. Just amazing.

6) Absolutely. I reach ~ 3,8 GB/s at stock FSB here. Performance is great but RAMBUS seems to be always a tiny small step ahead.

PS: Hope you can understand my English...

Back