• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI 655 Max Motherboard.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

overclocker23

Disabled
Most of you know that new sis 655 motherboard released by MSI is SIS 655 Max. It supports FSB upto 250Mhz. The new prescotts are 200FSB. So, I was wondering if I put in a Prescott Chip in this motherboard, will it work or not? I know it will run as 133FSB but if I overclock it to run at it's true speeds then don't you guys think that it should work fine. And then I will have 50Mhz more to overclock the Chip. Thanks and please let me know since I am interested in this motherboard.

it would work (probably, but you're never 100% sure. say 99.9%:)). But you wouldn't get other nice features... like dual-ddr... oh, wait, I think your mobo has dual-drr...nm
also, the gigabyte SINXP1394 is better than that one, and still has SIS 655 chipset

1 - The MSI has vCore settings only to 1.6V, and this is compounded by the fact it also undervolts by 0.05 to 0.075V. This means there is practically no vCore adjustment at all for overclocking.

2 - The MSI would NOT run at Cas 2 with ANY memory - the fastest settings that would work were CAS 2.5.

3 - When testing SiS655 boards to run at 200FSB Anandtech found the ONLY SiS655 board to OC to 200FSB was the Gigabyte SINXP1394.

4 - Many of the MSI boards are A0 rev, and with MSI the A0 SiS655 chipsets will NOT support Hyper-Threading AT ALL - and MSI has no plans to fix this with a BIOS rev. The Gigabyte A0 has a BIOS that allows it to run HT with some compromises. Most of the current SINXP1394 boards are also now B0 rev which fully supports HT.

Add to this the fact that MSI is a mainstream board - and NOT an enthusiast brand, and always seems to come up short on OC features - and the answer is pretty simple if you plan to overclock and are looking for best performance.

http://www.asusboards.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40772&highlight=MSI+655

Back