• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4T533 vs P4T533-C

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Verocity

Registered
Hi everyone. Short time reader, first time poster. I recently went on a shopping spree to upgrade from my old P3 600MHz system. I have some computer knowledge but my hayday was building 486/Pentium machines and a lot has changed since then. Here is a list of my current components:

ASUS P4T533-C
2.4BGHz P4 533MHz CPU
MCX4000 heatsink w/80mm fan
New case w/450w PSP and 3 fans
512MB(2x256) 16bit Samsung Rambus RIMMs
WD400JB 40GB 7200rpm 8MB cache HD
Using my old 64MB GF3 Ti500 vid card
CDRW, etc, etc.

I almost have everything but it's not too late to change. Here are some questions I have and info I have gathered from these boards, product reviews, etc:

P4T533-C - This board supports up to 150MHz FSB vs 200MHz. However, I have read that the non 'C' does not clock well over 155MHz FSB. Is this true? The 'C' has ATA100 vs ATA133 w/RAID. Is there a big difference between the two? I do not plan on using a RAID config. I'm not worried about 1 less PCI slot. The RIMM slots bring me to my next question:

16bit vs 32bit RIMMS - Is there any performance difference between the two? Only thing I can find is that one board requires one type. However, the 'C' has 4 slots vs 2. I like this since I can upgrade to 1GB later and it's a lot cheaper than buying one 512MB stick.

The price difference between these boards is $14. If I can get a significant performance boost from the P4T533 then it would be worth it in my eyes. I have been eyeing the 128MB GF4 Ti4200 but me thinks the wife has put up with enough spending for now. ;)

Thanks everyone!

*Almost forgot to mention that this is primarily a gaming rig. Been hooked ever since Duke Nukem 3D came out.
:)

the guys at extreme systems claim good oc's with the non c board. make sure u get good 32 ns rdram. by the way ocz offers the 30ns rdram for a higher price but it may be worth it

Well, after a few days of thought I have decided to go with the P4T533. Wish I had read these boards sooner so I could have avoided all these RMAs but I think it will be worth it in the long run.

Thanks for the info Flapperhead. After looking at the ocz pc1200 30ns chips and wiping the drool off my mouth, I went ahead and ordered two 256mb sticks. I hope they are worth the money I spent on them...

Back