• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How does this combo sound (SIS 655+2.4B+512 Corsair XMS)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scant7

This is what I have decided to get:

1. CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, Low Latency (Twin Pack) 512MB(2 x 256MB) 2x(32MX64) PC-2700LLPT With Platinum - Silver Heat Spreader.

2. Intel Pentium 4 2.4BGHz 512K 533MHz CPU Northwood P478 Processor Retail Box

3. Either Gigabyte GA-8SQ800, SIS655 chipset Socket 478 for Intel P4 533/400 MHz FSB ATX motherboard RETAIL or Asus Motherboard for Pentium 4 processors Model P4SDX AGP 8X DUAL CHANNEL DDR333 Hyper Threading Support Retail

Which of the mobo's should I get. I will be oc'ing it, and which would have better performance. (I dont really need onboard video/sound/lan/RAID) the GA-8SQ800 is so cheap $102.. I dont want to feel like I am buying a cheap mobo. The asus is always good too..

Either mobo that I get, is this a good setup for the future? No compatibility problems? I will also be getting a radeon 9800 Pro.

Thanks.

Scant

all i know is the asus board has no agp/pci lock so dont expect to get over 166fsb without having problems,if i were you id wait one more month and get springdale/centerwood

I would go with 8SQ800 ultra. Even though is it cheap that does not mean that it sucks. My friend has this mobo and he was able to overclock his CPU 2.4B @ 3.2GHZ without any problems on air cooling and 4 case fans. I have the same board and I would go with this one because I overclocked my 1.7GHZ Willy @ 2.4GHz myself and then the CHip gave up not the mobo. Dual channel DDR333 and support For DDR 454 etc... This mobo is awesome! No Doubt about it. All of your other setup sounds nice.

Back