• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP1700 Tbred on a KT7A-Raid mobo-- think the cpu killed this board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TUK101

I tried an XP1700 T-bred cpu on my KT7A Raid mobo and now the board wont post at all. I have tried an 800 duron, 1333 t-bird, and an xp2000 palamino on this board and none of them will work on this board now. What did I do, I take it that the t-bred chips do not work on this board? The fans spin, hdd makes noise but the cpu doesnt even heat up on the board now. Thanks for any advice in this matter.

Well, that's annoying. I think I've read some people had success with T-Breds and the KT7A, not completely sure.
But killing the board?
Was it running fine before you tried the new CPU in it?
When I clear CMOS, I turn off the rocker switch, close the jumper, and then hit the power switch for good measure.
Do the capacitors look good on the board?

The board was running perfectly fine before this happened. I looked at the capacitors and they looked ok to me, but I am not an electronics major :D . I have another board, an Iwill ka266plus that did pretty much the same thing. Tried another cpu in her, booted her back up and no post. I am stumped, the AMD road has been a ruff one for me, burnt up mobo's a couple of burnt up cpu's etc. I never ever had these kinds of troubles running intel. I make sure to ground myself to the case before making contact with components and I would like to think of myself as being fairly tech savvy when it comes to computers. But these couple of incidents with the mobos is really baffling me. Hopefully somebody will have a magical answer for me, but I am not holding my breath on it.

I have seen a fried CPU take out a motherboard before. I was trying to fix a friends socket 7 system. I put the CPU in what turned out to be be a bad motherboard, and it fried. Then, hoping that the CPU wasn't dead, I tried it in another motherboard. The CPU promptly fried that motherboard!
I hope this isn't what is happening with you.

The KT7A is one of the boards plagued with capacitors that fail. But they bulge out before they quit working, so it is usually obvious what the problem is.

For the KT7A, try rebooting and holding insert - this will default the BIOS to the standard settings and will hopefully let you post and get to the BIOS setup screen. Doesn't work everytime, but it can help when nothing else seems to work. I had that problem trying to overclock the FSB too far when I initially got my board. I'd hear fans spinning, but the screen would stay dark. Might do the trick.

Aaron

Thanks for the tips. RepoMan, what you said could be what is wrong. The Tbred that I tried may have been dead. I have gotten two bad XP1700's from Newegg, or at least two that fried instantly when I installed them into a mobo. Like I said, I have really had nothing but bad luck with AMD stuff since switching over from Intel lol. AMD stuff runs soooo freaking hot!!!:mad:

I've had more than my share of losses, but virtually all of them were due to a defective operator (me). When I haven't been stupid or careless, (not implying that you have been either) my AMD CPU's have been very trouble free.

The thermal throttling features I've read about with the Pentiums sound nice. But with the initial cost of the CPU so much higher, you should get an extra feature for your money. In my opinion anyway.

I tried the holding down the "insert" key thing and it didnt work.
I had been pretty lucky up until I started playing around with AMD stuff in February. My first loss was an XP1700 Palamino, which was my fault all the way. Got ASIII into the capacitors around the cpu and it shorted right away, and in the process taking out the mobo. Got a bad XP1700 tbred cpu from Newegg, and I think that is what shorted out the Iwill mobo that I spoke of earlier. And now the problem with the KT7A mobo which probably died from trying the bad XP1700 in it. All that added up is starting to get spendy. I like the performance of the AMD lineup, and am not slamming them in any way, but I sure have been learning my lessons about AMD the hard way.

Back