• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer over heating.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adam5150

I have 4 case fans in my computer 3 blowing in, 1 blowing out, a cpu fan with a heat sink and thermal grease. My system temperature is fine but my cpu temp is 56-70C and i have no idea how to cool it down or what the damn problem is. Will someone give me some idea on what to do?

What mainboard?
What heatsink?
If it is a Thermalright, take it off and check the core imprint. They have been known to not sit squarely on the CPU.

quantity of air that is intaken must be aprox. the same that is outtaken.

Maybe you should add atleast another fan that will blow out hot air.

Next step check if you have sufficient cooler attached on CPU..
take look at tomshardware for details on all good coolers, there was a big review recently.

INFERNO2 said:

Why is that?!?
Did I miss something about Tom's hardvare page?*
:confused:

They have falsified/fabricated results and a slant can be noticed in many of their articles by those with a well-conditioned pallette for reviews.

They have lost all credibility with all hard-core PC junkies... So they are held in very low regard around here.

There are specific examples you might be able to find if you did a forum search.

Reliable ratings and reviews of MANY heatsinks can be had here:
www.overclockers.com/articles373/

All the information in that link is just presented, and it is left to the reader to decide what is best for them.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

Adam5150 said:
I have 4 case fans in my computer 3 blowing in, 1 blowing out, a cpu fan with a heat sink and thermal grease. My system temperature is fine but my cpu temp is 56-70C and i have no idea how to cool it down or what the damn problem is. Will someone give me some idea on what to do?

With temp readings that high... a large majority of the time it is because of a bad seating of the heatsink.

Remove the heatsink, using isopropyl rubbing alcohol, clean the base, clean the cpu, let dry - should only take a minute. There should be no remnants of old thermal material - if there used to be a thermal pad, a credit card will help you scrape the goop off without damaging the cpu.

Go to http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm and follow their instructions on reapplying thermal grease. They have nice pictures of what your application should look like too. Less thermal grease is better, as long as the die is completely covered. Follow the pictures.

Remount the heatsink, ensuring that the orientation of the heatsink on the zif socket is correct (if you have an AMD processor). The socket where the AMD cpu sits has a raised portion, and many heatsinks have a corresponding raised portion in their base. If the raised portions do not match up, the heatsink will not sit level and make good contact with the die, typically resulting in temps similar to what you are seeing now.

Questions:

1) Is the heatsink fan blowing down onto the heatsink or sucking air up off of the heatsink? Most heatsinks are designed to be blown down upon and this usually gets better temps.
2) Are you experiencing system instability? Crashes or errors? With temps like those, you should be.
3) How are you observing those temps? Are you reading the temps from the bios or from within windows? What program are you using? Is it configured correctly, and are you sure?
4) What cpu do you have? This will help a little.
5) What heatsink do you have and what fan blowing onto it? The make/model of your heatsink will really help.
6) What kind of thermal paste are you using and has a thermal pad been used on the cpu before? If there are old remnants of a thermal pad then this will really hurt temps.
7) Have you tried making one of your intakes an exhaust fan? This won't fix your temperatures, but it could possibly help to the tune of a couple degrees C.
8) What does the base of your heatsink look like? Is it smooth? When you run your fingernail across it does it make audible noise like it is catching on ridges or bumps?
9) After you reseat the heatsink, are your temps any different?

BTW: This is really a topic that would fit into the general cooling section better. If you private message the forum moderator he will be glad to move this thread into the general cooling section - and by asking you will know where it went. If they just move the thread themselves you might have a hard time finding it.

Last edited:
I.M.O.G. said:

They have falsified/fabricated results and a slant can be noticed in many of their articles by those with a well-conditioned pallette for reviews.

They have lost all credibility with all hard-core PC junkies... So they are held in very low regard around here.

There are specific examples you might be able to find if you did a forum search.

Reliable ratings and reviews of MANY heatsinks can be had here:
www.overclockers.com/articles373/

All the information in that link is just presented, and it is left to the reader to decide what is best for them.

Thanks for that info, i'll take look at this link.

Back