• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-s Bios failure? Need help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Warshed

Registered
I have an Abit NF7-S mothboard and everything was going smooth after I installed everything. I booted up and went into the bios and then fiddled with some settings, disabled APIC, put ram on turbo, put power button on 4 second delay, etc. I then saved them and rebooted. The bios was saved ok and the motherboard detected my IDE devices and then started to ask for a boot disk to load windows. Seeing as I have no Operating system I shutoff my computer with the power switch. I then rebooted and my bois just hung at detecting IDE devices, it detects my 512mb ram but never gets past that. I tried unplugging and replugging my IDE devices to no avail. It won't get any further and I can't get into my bios by pressing del. I tried resetting my cmos and that doesn't work at all. Is there anything else you guys would recommend in order to reawaken my mother board or does it sound like I need to RMA it? Could there be another possible problem?

P.S. I think I installed everything correctly, heatsink, connections etc. I checked my temps when my bios was working and they were running around 38C which I think is pretty good.

One other question. If my processor fried (which I think is doubtful) is there any physical signs on the processor itself that would indicate it was damaged due to not installing a heatsink right? I am a total newbie.

Last edited:
There is one other option that I have heard that worked "IF" it is the BIOS crash problem. You will have to find a CPU like a "Duron" that has the 100mhz FSB and install it, then try booting your system. Supposedly the problem with the BIOS was when NVIDIA Designed the board originally they had a jumper added to the design that would allow the user to reset the chipset back to 100mhz FSB after saving the settings in the BIOS, But the problem was that ALL the manufactures who made this board "DID NOT" go by the original board design that Nvidia put out :rolleyes: Thus the problem exists with ALL Nforce MB's.

Some more info on this:
There is a basic architectural loophole in nVidia’s implementation of nForce2 chipset to handle BIOS update. Due to the nature design of nForce2 chipset, complex instructions will be written into nVidia Northbridge. However, its CMOS space is rather limited which has resulted in a high potential risk to save data back into BIOS chip improperly. Whenever there is an increased numbers of BIOS/CMOS saving actions taking place, data loss may just occurs. The symptom is very clear that you would get stuck right on the spot, and not able to boot up your system again.

Another option you may try if you do not have access to a 100mhz CPU, is to purchase a BIOS chip from these guys here-->Go here for a new BIOS chip!

Hope this helps!

DpGravy

Last edited:
This probably won't help you at all, but it may bring some issues up:

When I first got this mobo, I tried using 2 hdds. No go. It kept hanging at the ide detection.

Even worse though, I tried to use only 1 hdd. Now my 3 year old pioneer dvd drive did not get detected, it was some jarbled crap, like predator language :p

Now I crapped my pants and started to pull stuff out. Managed to rip off a jumper of the dvd drive, though it was was only fine there for 3 years. It still didn't detect. Switched the ide channels (prim + secondary round). Then it booted. But the cables were all wonky etc. SO that still sucked.

I now tried 2 hdds. Still froze. Crap I think. SO I go and whip out the serial ATA and connect the adapter to the second hdd. It actually works!

Now my computer boots. About 4 days later I get ****ed off and take out the adapter, and lo and behold, both drives work now on the ide channel. Next I switch back the channels. Is stil lworks.

Bascially, I have had VERY weird problems, I don't know what caused it, but it just solved itself....

The thing is, the hdds work, even though the jumpers aren't in the right position...??!!

Just keep trying.

Back