• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Soundstorm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What exactly is sound storm? I looked on my box and briefly at the manual and don't see any mention of that.

It is in the manuel, and the upper corner of the box, bot h Dolby Digital, and Soundstorm support. Soundstorm is Nvidia's sound system technology that was incorportated into the Nforce2 chipset. Asus is claiming certification for both the dolby and soundstorm, but it has neither right now.

hmm, does that explain why my nvidia drivers wont load - and I now have no sound at all?

It does tent to work better with the drivers from asus, some modification to the drivers they are releasing, you may waht to try those off their site if you haven't already

So in a way it's like a THX certification for the sound quality of the chipset? Funny my box doesn't say that anywhere. I'll look at the manual again. I just reinstalled windows yesterday and used the latest nvidia drivers, not the ones from Asus. Seems to be running fine, but I only have 2 channel speakers hooked up.

Technically the board does posses the technology, but there is something on the list in the article that it doesn't have, and I believe that is the non-shared ports on the back panel. TC on the upper right corner of your board, there should be a symbol that say something like NVIDIA Soundstorm technology, and a Dolby Digital logo. Boards without certification cannot disply this logo. and the A7N8X Deluxe currently does not have that certifiaction.

Yeah , But like he said It says so on the Box! "Nvidia SoundStorm , And Dolby Digital , Digital Media Gateway"

I would have to say thay it is clearly mis-Advertising

Well, it's got 'most' of what it needs. My sound is good [since I got it working again].

Not really worried as far as im concerned im still getting a Soundstorm just without the certification!

Whatever caused the A7N8X Deluxe to be dropped from the list was totally unrelated to the quality or performance of the audio subsystem of the motherboard. Again, I cannot tell you what it was. Just that it had NOTHING to do with the hardware! The A7N8X Deluxe did and still meets the requirements of the SoundStorm programme. So, there's absolutely no need to worry about getting a substandard product when you buy the A7N8X Deluxe. In fact, I expect this matter to be cleared up soon and the A7N8X Deluxe to return to the list very soon! As for ASUS' practice of shipping the motherboards with Dolby stickers on the box, well, you can hardly blame them. They were only dropped off the certified list very recently.

yeah that is a bit of mis-advertising. I don't know how they did that mishap but I have 5.1 speakers and they work fine when I installed the nvidia drivers and I don't really have a gripe enough to get truly mad at them since sound is not really my big thing.

The on board sound in my opinoin has a better quality sound than my creative sound blaster audigy platinum w/ 1934 connector had.
Chris

Dude, yer crazy! Get some headphones and listen to the amount of noise (during "silence") on the onboard sound. The audigy is much better at that. :)

I run my JBL pros throught a external amp and the noise from the speakers is so minimal that i dont even hear it unless I put my ear up to one of the speakers. Also alot of people that i know have come over and said that the sound quality is better.

Maybe they should ship us a PCI nvidia Soundstorm card to make up for it. It seems odd that even though they havnt passed the certs for it (or they did but now they dont have it ) that they still advertise that it is on there site.

TC
Stupid question but is your board a Delux or an A7n8x regular

Last edited:
I run my JBL pros throught a external amp and the noise from the speakers is so minimal that i dont even hear it unless I put my ear up to one of the speakers. Also alot of people that i know have come over and said that the sound quality is better.
- cbakey

You will really only notice the noise difference with either an excellent set of speakers or some headphones, but it is most definitely there. I do prefer the SoundStorm over the Audigy in terms of performance and games, but I cannot tolerate the noise for headphone listening. (I'm talking analog noise here, by the way...)

Yeh the soundstorm performs better in games, read the article in toms hardware. The nForce2 APU came out on top every time.

As for the noise i do hear it during load up but once in windows, the noise goes. Try muting your line in, microphone or any input in the nForce tray option that SHOULD help, but my speakers are always turned off unless i need to hear sound.

Is the noise you are referring to a slight buzzing noise. Sort of sounds like a modem dialing out??? I get the same crap noise on my board but like nerd boi I only have the speakers on when I need them.

Back