• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4PE "Updated ESCD Successfully" message

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CPanther2003

Registered
I'm getting the "Updated ESCD Successfully" message for no reason when I first boot the system in the morning, and sometiems during a reboot. I'm getting this message with the Plug and Play OS option marked No in the bios. It's more frequent with it makred yes, but it shouldn't do it at all with that option marked no, right? What would cause this? It can't be my CMOS battery can it? My date and time are current, and according to Sandra 2003 the CMOS battery is good.

I put in an RMA for this board, only to get a new P4PE from Newegg that didn't boot at all and it's going back today. This board works, my only gripe is this "Updated ESCD" message and the slow bios, which I could live with. My biggest concern is the Updated ESCD message. It makes me think something is wrong with either the bios or something on the board
that could cause problems down the road. If I could fix this, I would just keep it. I don't have the "cold boot" problems others have had with the P4PE, just this annoying stuff.

Any ideas what is causing this? I'm running the latest bios from Asus 1003 rev 12 beta.

My system:

P4PE with sata, raid ata133, gigabit lan ( the full version, not the black pearl)

P4 2.4B cpu with a Thermaltake Spark 7 cooler

431 Antec True power supply

512 Corsair XMS DDR 333

Albatron TI4800V 128 mb agp card

SB Audigy Gamer

Maxtor 80 gig main hdd
Maxtor 40 gig slave hdd
both hooked up to the std ATA100 slot, no raid hook up

Creatvie labs 16X dvd cd rom drive

Phillips CDRW 40x12x48 burner

I had noticed that my old creative 16X DVD drive would take a second to be recognized by the bios at boot up. I wanted to replace it anyway with a new black drive, so I ordered a new Sony DVd drive to replace it. In case the ESCD message at reboot were software related, I decided to format my hdd and reinstall XP Pro.

I did it, and I no longer have that message at reboot. When I cold boot the system, I still get the message. I spoke to a tech at Asus this morning, and they said this is normal for a P4PE. I have no performance problems, so I'm keeping it.

Putting this issue aside, the board performs well. Overall I'm happy with it.

My P4PE does it also. Seems to just be a quirk with the moboard. I wouldn't worry about it though. It may get fixed in a bios revision down the road.

LA

Back