• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best memory setting for A7N8X?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
I just got an Asus A7N8X and some PC3500 DDR (CAS 2.0.)

I am trying to run the DDR at 200 FSB.

Sandra can burn-in test the memory just fine, and Prime95, works ok, but the system fails, when I try to run 3DMark 2003. I think it is because the memory settings are too agressive.

I have tried setting the RAM settings to Aggressive and Optimal. Neither is stable enough to keep 3DMark 2003 from crashing.

Can anyone recommend what manual settings, I should use.

Thanks.

Hi. this may sound stupid, but maybe it's the mobo that limits you. I've seen that happen here to other members. do you have the latest bios version, which seems to allow tighter mem timings and higher FSBs ?
just asking :)
also, what are your current memory settings ? mine are just the same when set to "aggressive" or to "optimal", i dunno why... i have to set them to "user defined" to really modify them.

My board is a Rev 1.06 and it came with the latest BIOS, 1002A.

At 200 FSB, the Optimal settings are: 9,4,4,2 and the Aggressive Settings are 8,4,4,2

I bumped the FSB down to 190 (still using 2.8 Vmem) and the system is solid, running Optimal settings at the moment (8,4,4,2 @ 190 FSB.)

I called the distributor I got the RAM from (hardcorecooling.com) and they said that they have had higher than normal RMA's on this particular RAM lately, and they think they might have gotten a bad batch. They said they would have some more in, by the end of the week and they could cross ship me an RMA, then. Alternatively, they could ship me OCZ PC3500, if I paid the difference. I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt and not think that this is bait and switch tactics. They have a good resellerratings score, so I'll put a little faith in them.

Personally, I'm not totally convinced its bad RAM. When I called hardcorecooling, I asked them if they could recommend manual settings for me. They didn't offer, they just said, right away, that it is probably bad RAM.

I read somewhere that the Southbridge may require additional cooling. My board, like everyone else's, didn't come with a heatsink on the Southbridge. When I put my finger on it, it feels pretty warm. Not hot enough to burn me, but very warm.

Should I put a heatsink on it? Has anyone done this and has it helped?

If anyone can offer me some RAM timings that they use at 200 FSB, that would be really helpful.

just saw that on the memory forum... it may give you a clue...

Originally posted by Hoot
I am no memory guru, but I've been in computers since 1984. I have always set my memory timings for maximum aggressiveness, then adjusted the FSB up to instability. I suspect that many people with 1/1 through1/5 divisor motherboards blame their memory for high FSB failures when in reality, some device on the PCI or AGP bus is holding them back due to the speed of those sub-busses being too high..

The PCI and AGP bus isn't to blame, because it is fixed at 66 MHz AGP, 33 MHz PCI.

*EDIT* Well, they SHOULDN'T be to blame, provided that the motherboard really IS locking the PCI and AGP bus. I don't have any way of testing, to make sure that it is. If it isn't, then that would certainly cause my problems.

I have run Memtest on the memory, at 200 FSB and it passes, just fine. The problem is only when I try to run 3DMark 2003 (which runs fine at 190 FSB.)

Last edited:
I have the same problem, and posted about it. One of the possibilities is that the NB is not being supplied enough voltage. Mine is still being supplied 1.56 regardless of what the VDD says in the BIOS.

For 1.04/6 users, you'll have to do the VDD volt mod.

In my case, 195 MHz is the max I can go, but then 3DMark2001 would crash (radeon) or show image tearing then lock up during loops (able to pass once for a 3DMark score). I have yet to lower the FSB to find how much I have to lower before I can play games - I don't play games too much (yet).

I really want to get the 2.0 ver, not just for official DDR400 support, but for the newer C1 (says A1 on the chipset) stepping.

How many ppl are actually getting corrupt BIOSes? I never have a prob with my 1.04 (knocks on wood).

Last edited:
I had that problem too, but for me it was as simple as uninstalling 3dmark2003, searching for that name and futuremark on hard drive and in registry and deleting it completely, then reinstalling, but I have noticed, 3dmark likes to be installed on the same drive as the OS, I had it on my D:\ partition and it wasnt stable. So far, in default settings ive scored a 4996 and tuned way down a 5289:eek:

Really? You think it may be corrupt registry entries? I may give that a try first before I blame my NB. :)

But I'm using 2001, not 03. btw, when I said "image tearing", I meant that for the other card i have (GF2 MX 200). The radeon keeps crashing no matter what and cannot complete the benchie. The GF2 MX200 can, but causes image tearing, and will lock up in loop mode (but can finish one test)

Back