• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"CPU is unworkable or has been changed"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fingolfin269

I was doing the "normal" stuff in playing with my fsb and multiplier and never even took it above 185fsb. I know this thing wasn't stressed. Anyway, I decided to back down on it and start over with a lower multiplier. After I moved the fsb back to 133 stock (2100+) I saved the BIOS and immediately got a long post beep. I never got a picture and ended up having to power down the computer and manually power off the CPU to get anywhere. I was greeted with this upon boot :

"CPU is unworkable or has been changed." I was able to put the fsb back up to 166 and the multiplier is at 12, but I now can't even raise the fsb to 167 without getting that same error msg.

Does anyone know what caused this? I plan on just resetting my CMOS this weekend and flashing to the beta BIOS in hopes of avoiding corruption, but in the meantime I guess I'd just like to know WHY this happened.

Thanks.
*EDIT* By the way, it's an NF7-S 1.2

Also, it seems that 1.6 is no longer a 'beta' bios. Does anyone know if the bios corruption death was fixed in 1.6? All I see in the notes is a mention that the power button is temporarily rendered unusable while BIOS is saving... as if they think this corruption is caused by morons turning off the system during saving :p

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome. And you're right about the addiction... since I couldn't mess with my cpu speeds last night I decided to move on to unlocking/oc'n my 9500 Pro.. but I digress..

I actually didn't do anything abnormal as far as I know. I just moved the fsb from 166 to 133 (multiplier was still the same) and hit f10 to save and exit. I also notice that I now sometimes have no keyboard control in the bios menu when I go in there to fiddle with my ram settings. I hope this isn't a bad sign because I definately don't feel like taking this board out and shipping it off...

Back