• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird 8RDA+ Feature

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lokicat

I have the 3-5 BIOS on the rig below. I was screwing around with another CPU. I put my 2100 back in after I reset BIOS to optimized defaults.

Here's the interesting part, I changed all my settings to my original config below. However, I forgot one huge thing - I left the CPU muliplier on default. That equals 13*215 or 2.8 GHz!

So my monitor goes black, powers up, then goes black again, then somehow comes back on and what do I see?

CPU on the bootup screen says Athlon 1500! If my calculations are right, the BIOS reset my FSB to 100 MHz eventhough I saved it at 215. When I went into BIOS setup, sure enough, the FSB was set to 215. I changed my multiplier to 11 and the system booted up normally.

This seems like some type of overclocking protection in the BIOS. Anyone else see this? By all accounts, my BIOS should have been nice and scrambled trying to run 2.8.

yep, definitely happened, forgot what i was doing tho, very nice feature

even when that doesn't happen, you can use the watchdog feature to get it booting again, hold insert and keep pressing delete when starting the comp with this board

I just took my CPU out to reapply AS3 and when I put it back it defaulted back to 100 FSB.

I went in to setup and simply saved the settings. I was back on top again.

Great feature, can save you a chip... certainly beats clearing CMOS on a bad o/c.

Back