• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

700 Pentium 3 temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ElectroSoldier

Can anybody tell me what is an "about right" temp in degrees C for a 700 Pentium 3?

The room temp varies from quite cold to quiet hot, I know this will effect the temps but I just need a basis of comparison to go on so a lot of temps would help me.

Also can you tell me if the onboard temp monitors on a Jetway 694AS mobo are acurate enough to take a conservitive temp?

Im not looking for exact temps just around about will do.

It depends on the cooler you're using, but you should try to stay below 50C full load, personally I try took keep temps in the low 40's.

You can calibrate the sensor, here's an article about calibrating the internal thermal diode.

are kool. its just my switch is pretty much a constant 28C when idel but when i play a game its runs @100% and its temp only goes up to around 33C the highest I seen was 36 but the room was VERY warm too

nice temps and they sound about right from an un-overclocked computer. Just have a stock cooler on that CPU?

no its not OC'd and its not a standard cooloer either but its still runnin that hot.

I dont know wot the cooler is but it really big compaired to the 1that was in it before, its got a aluminum sink and the fan surround is aluminum too its an 80mm, but im still getin high temps... why?

could it be a lack of air circulation in my case... it is very full with little or no room left inside I do have 1 input fan on the front (but its blowing onto disks, and I have an exhaust too (both 80mm)

IF 36C is you highest ever full load temps, know you are not getting bad temps. You are getting good temps and have nothing to worry about.

If you are expecting the same temps as your ROOM temp, that is not posible with a heatsink, you need some chilling action to do that.

So once again, your temps are safe, and and a very nice level....
time to overclock that puppy now :D

I thought the temps were good for a 700 BUT that was with a standard cooler and now I have changed cooler to a much bigger 1 there has been practly no change, I wasnt expecting a big 1 but it has only been 5degrees (from around 33 to 28)

Thats what it is now, the room is quite warm as it is in direct sunlight, but
is a temp change of only 5C a normal one considering I have changed to a fan that is at least twice the size of the origional with a much bigger fan too?

5C is a big drop with a cool CPU (like you have)
if you can give me your VCore (or stepping) and room temps I can do some calculations for you to show how well your heatsinks are working

Don't worry about it. Your temps. are fine. BTW why are worrying about your temps. This doesn't make sense. If you were overclocking then the temp. issue would be aight to discuss but don't worry about it. Your temps. are awesome.

I know the temps are good, but when I changed to a much bigger HsF the temps only decreased by around 5C, but the HsF is 2-2half time bigger so I was expecting a much bigger change but didnt get it WHY?

ElectroSoldier said:
I know the temps are good, but when I changed to a much bigger HsF the temps only decreased by around 5C, but the HsF is 2-2half time bigger so I was expecting a much bigger change but didnt get it WHY?

If you give me your ROOM temp (case temp if possible)
the original heatsink and he new heatsink....

I will be able to break it down and explain why you are getting the temps you are. Also just beasue a HSF is bigger doesnt make it better

My primary rig prior to getting the 1.6a was a P3-700 running at 1050MHz at 1.85V. It ran 45C max. Never ran the sucker at 700 and stock voltage.

I have no real idea what the room temp is as it varies considerably but at a guess from between 15C and 21C. My temps before the new HsF were 33 - 35C idel 38 - 45C 100% load (those figures are aprox and varyied with the room temp)
The new temps are 33C idel 38C 100%Load.

I have a Jetway 694AS does anyone know how to set it so I can OC it to 933MHz. I have tried changing it in the BIOS but it wont boot above 805MHz, so i was wondering if there is a way to set a board jumper to run it at 933

Using a room temp of 21C for all calc
Old sink
CPU temp of 45C (your MAX load) and the default Vcore of 1.65 (cBo), so 18.5watts to cool....

So we know have your:
DELTA =CPU temp - ambient temp = 24C
delta/ power = c/w = 1.2973

New heatsink
CPU temp = 38C - ambient (21) = delta (17)
delta (17)/ Power (18.5) = c/w = 0.918919

as you can see both sinks are POOR
looking at some modern sinks here you can clearly see that. To be honest, i think you have installed your heatsink wrong or incorrect with temps that high. Or you must be using a thermal pad or something like that....
your temps just dont seem right.
You havent changed the default Vcore have you?

thank you, now you see it.

No its not changed in anyway apart from a new HsF.

Right looking @ SpeedFan util my readings are;
Core... 1.75V
3.3... 3.39V
5... 5.15V
12... 12.05V

the sink had thermal paste on it when i got it so just took off the old fan and installed the new 1.
As I said my temps have droped but only by about... well atm (its 02.24am with a ususl room temp the temp is down by about 7c (used to be about 33c now its 26c)

The paste did seem thick but it squished when i pressed it down on the die!

Back